vapor lock?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordpirat

Reaction score
I recently got my 85 johnson 6hp running took it out in the river to test it out. It was running great for a long time. Then all of a sudden it stalled out randomly it started back up after a bit of priming the bulb, then it stalled right before i got to the dock. Lucky. I recently put in a new fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, soaked it in carb cleaner, changed the plugs. Now when i put the new fuel pump on i had to reroute the fuel line. Is it bad to run it around the back of the motor and into the pump due to length? Also i put a inline filter in it is that a bad idea also? Seems like a fuel issue to me.

Vapor lock has always been described to me as when fuel in the line is "boiling" before making it to the carb. Usually only happens in solid lines. However I do suppose a form of that may happen in a rubber line.
Silly question, did you put the filter in the right direction? Also make sure you have all the fuel lines tight so no air is getting into the line.

Confirmed filter is oriented correctly, lines are tight. Pump is working just got it home and tested that. Just curious if the pump was being starved because of the length of hose?

It would start back up after I would prime the bulb so its not getting fuel somehow. Just wonder if anyone else made the same decision and found out it doesnt work so well? Im gonna remove the external filter and reroute the line where it originally was(just a little longer)

Yea and its working. I think the filter i had on it was too restrictive so i changed it, rerouted the line again, put a different filter on it and put some clear tubing on the fuel pump outlet so i can see the fuel flowing that way if it happens again i can see if it is a problem before or after the fuel pump. Gonna try it out in the AM

Yeah - you have an air leak or restriction. From what you write my best guess is an air leak or collapsing line - make sure it is not pinched or that you have not over tightened a hose clamp and split the line a little

Dont know what fixed it but either way my outboard runs again and it gave me no trouble today even with the high river and strong current of the santa fe.

Latest posts