Suggestions on manual tilt. Please...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rscottp

Reaction score
Hi all, I am getting near the end of my mod and have found a bit of an issue. I have decked over the back of my boat and I had a hell of a time trying to lift my engine with the new set up. It wasn't easy when I had a floor back there but its harder now. I have seen that handle that BPS and Cabelas sells. Wondering if anyone has used that or come up with some other solution, maybe a rope that I could hook on the back of the motor or something. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 335
Hmm - hadn't gotten that far with my own build yet...though looking at your pic our setups are different - I'll have a hatch that opens away from the motor giving the tiller handle more room to sweep down, and this seems to be the prevailing design on here...but then again you already knew that...

I've only handled the basspro tiller extension handle, it's plastic and I wouldn't go applying a lot of torque to it. You'd probably have to find a way to fix the tiller handle in an inclined position regardless of the length so that you have the clearance.

Here's an "assist" tilt that I manufacturered, designed after the one's you can buy. Had the parts laying around the garage so $0 outlay. It worked extremely well with my 40hp 4 stroke I used to have. The bracket fit right inside the cowling on the 40hp. It would have to be cut down to work on my 25, but it's so light I do not need it.

IMG-20140319-00210.jpg
IMG-20140319-00211.jpg

I like your design MD, I am thinking I will try to make something similar. After I put up this post I went looking for the one that they sell and the description says its only for 2 stroke motors but there is no reason given. I can't figure out why it wouldn't work on a 4 stroke. Thanks for the idea!

Put it in reverse, unlock it, throttle up and it tilts up easily. I have the exact same motor, and that is my only complaint. The weight is moved further to the rear of the motor so it makes it harder to tilt. It's 140 lbs (short shaft tiller electric) so it's not "that" heavy....not light but nothing like the new ones (which are ~180 lbs). I actually was thinking about putting a CMC on mine eventually.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346475#p346475 said:
turbotodd » 26 Mar 2014, 23:16[/url]"]Put it in reverse, unlock it, throttle up and it tilts up easily. I have the exact same motor, and that is my only complaint. The weight is moved further to the rear of the motor so it makes it harder to tilt. It's 140 lbs (short shaft tiller electric) so it's not "that" heavy....not light but nothing like the new ones (which are ~180 lbs). I actually was thinking about putting a CMC on mine eventually.
I have the long shaft version and it is listed at 150lbs, half my problem is I only weight 130lbs so I need some type of mechanical assist. I will try the reverse trick but I want something that will work it every situation.

Latest posts