4HP Johnson SeaHorse 1968-1978 Throttle Issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kier

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Johnson 4HP motor. This model only has fowrard. You have to turn it around to go in reverse. The issue is when I pull the throttle to fast it slips back to idle. I looked up on iboats ( link below) my model. It appears there is something called a friction cylinder that wraps around the throttle. I am assuming it grips the throttle lever so it does not move. I purchased a replacement on ebay and replaced it and the same thing is happening. Any advice on how to stop the throttle from slipping would be great.

Thanks,
Kyle

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1974/4W74R/MOTOR%20COVER/parts.html

Is the clamp the piece that you tighten down on the friction cylinders or the cavity the cylinders sit in.

A new clamp came with the friction cylinders. I used the new clamp when I replaced the cylinders. Are those cylonders designed to wear down over time? Could I have bought used cylinders that were to wore down? My other thought is do I have something catching in the flywheel causing it to pull back on the throttle linkage. Thoughts?

It turns out I did not have the clamp tightened down all the way. I took it out yesterday and it worked fine.

Latest posts