Using last years fuel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
The ice here in Wisconsin is finally starting to receed and I will be pulling the boat out of storage this weekend. I have about half of a 6 gallon tank of mixed fuel left over from last season. It is non ethanol fuel treated with seafoam. Is it still ok to use it or should I dump it and start fresh? Just want to make sure that my motor is protected and I have no issues this season. Thanks for the input.

Tim

If it were me I would top the tank off with HIGH test and run the motor
another thing you could do would be to just put that old gas in your truck
4 gallons of 40 or 50 to 1 mixed in with 20 or so gallons in the truck will be fine

If I end up the season with fuel left in my tank, I typically try to burn it all up in my leaf blower, chain saw, and weed eater. If that doesn't use it all by spring, I fill the tank the rest of the way with fresh gas and run it.

Add some fresh gas/oil mix and about 1/2 a can of seafoam, and use it. 3 gallons of mix would take me a long long time in the blower as that is all I've got in 2stroke yard equip. The seafoam will help overcome any bad that may be in the old gas.

If the tank is easy to remove I would dump it in a can and use it in the car or truck. Start with a fresh tank for the season and ease your mind as to any doubt about the fuel system. Too many fuel related problems to deal with now, of course most have to due with ethanol and fuel separation.

If I don't dump mine after about 2 weeks, the motor runs poorly. I notice it in rougher idling, stumble when transitioning from about 1/4 throttle to about 1/2 (from there to WOT it's fine), and initial starting when cold. Those 4 strokes like I have are really sensitive to fuel quality. Tiny orifices down inside the carb, and they plug quick and easily. I hate today's fuel quality-or lack thereof.

I am going to mix the old stuff with my lawn mower gas and start with a fresh tank for the ol merc. Thanks for the input. Hope to be out on the water in a few days.

I can say that it is perfectly safe to run last years fuel thru your lawn mower. I ran 4 gallons thru my lawn tractor this past week and it ran just fine. I did add a little extra sea foam to it but that was it. The gas was a 50:1 mix and besides a little smoke from time to time, no issues at all. So do not be afraid to dump that old gas into the mower and go to town. Heck, with premuim gas being over $4 a gallon, you can not afford to waste it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352045#p352045 said:
ol sarge » 42 minutes ago[/url]"]I can say that it is perfectly safe to run last years fuel thru your lawn mower. I ran 4 gallons thru my lawn tractor this past week and it ran just fine. I did add a little extra sea foam to it but that was it. The gas was a 50:1 mix and besides a little smoke from time to time, no issues at all. So do not be afraid to dump that old gas into the mower and go to town. Heck, with premuim gas being over $4 a gallon, you can not afford to waste it.

Sarge? It wouldn't have hurt your outboard either. A precaution I use is to run old gas through a water-separator filter funnel into another container. Can't say I've found much h20, but for peace of mind, it helps. :)

Glad you found a use for it; fuel's too darned expensive to waste.

Be safe, have fun. FOUR gallons thru lawn tractor?!? How much you mowing? :)

I am mowing a little over 2 acres. It takes me just under 3 hours from start to finish and I usually use a full 2 gallons a mow. I have a nice 24 hp Craftman with a 42" deck that does a nice job. I just dethatched the 2 acres and planted 120 trees so it was pretty easy to use that gas up. I feel better running thru the tractor. I had to put some money intot he Ol Merc last year and this year the wife would be a little upset if I had to put anymore into it. Cheap insurance.

I usually have the same thing happen each year, a couple gallons left in the tank when the seasons done. Not really an issue at all, especially if the container's clean/free of rust. Just this weekend I topped off the 6gal tank with fresh fuel, along with some seafoam. Not a bad idea either to toss in some mechanic in a bottle/mystery oil/ or some similar treatment.

I don't have near enough grass to mow to blow through that much fuel :D

But as they've said, if you can get it all replaced and used up, why not!