Lower unit gap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warefishin

Reaction score
Guys I put the lower unit back on and noticed a gap. Should it be there or am I missing a seal there.

Thanks again.[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1396137117014.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396137117014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396137117014.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 680
Looking at the picture its hard to tell but the small gap is only at the front. It sealed up tight around the back and sides.just wantes to see what water getting inthere would do.

When you put it back together did you tighten down bolts in the back first? Could casue front not not tighten all the way if you cranked down on rear bolts before putting in the front bolts. Always best to tighten them in a cross pattern. Not sure if thats whats going on with yours or not but its a possibility.

I did cross, when i tightened them up still a little gap. I am not sure if it is going to hurt anything or if it was designed that way.

It looks to me like someone, possibly prior to you, tried to remove the gearcase by prying with a screwdriver or whatever in that area. Perhaps they did not know about the shift shaft coupler.
You are going to replace the water screens aren't you?

Yes sir. I did that right after I took the picture. Lol.

I am thinking about using s little 5200 or something to seal it up. Unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks again guys.

Actually as I was hitting send I thought about it and a little jb weld may be better

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346910#p346910 said:
warefishin » Today, 9:11 am[/url]"]Actually as I was hitting send I thought about it and a little jb weld may be better

I can't tell from the pic whats going on, but no sealer or jbweld belongs there.

I agree with Pappy 'n Jasper. There's no need to worry about sealing the gap.

The only problem I can foresee is if the lower unit didn't seat right. There are at least three things to look at. 1 Water tube seating. 2 Shift linkage position. 3 Driveshaft over-lubrication; grease on top of splines preventing driveshaft from seating into crank. 4 Anything else in the way.

In any case tightening the bolts down always messes up something.

If the gap is from a damaged or imperfect surface, no sweat. If something prevented the lower from fully seating, then it has to come apart and find out why. It could have damage from being forced into place. Running it like that can only make matters worse....if that's the case.

Thanks guys thats what I was wanting to hear. It looks like as someone said the po may have tried getting the lower off with a screw driver or pry bar and made a little gap there. It sits nice everywhere else.

Jason

Latest posts