inboard conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgeddes

Reaction score
For no other reason that to prove it can be done I am considering an inboard conversion of my 14' tinny. The idea would be initially use a Harbor Freight 6 hp gas engine to prove the drive train, rudder etc. and then convert it to a 10hp electric start diesel. Conceptually a centrifugal clutch (the kind they use in go-karts) would provide a neutral, a forward reverse gearbox can be found cheaply, and the rest of the bearing and packings are all available from marine stores. I have access to a machine shop at work and a case of beer can get **** near anything made by a number of talented machinists. The motor would be mounted under a center console and the exhaust would be piped to an overhead outlet. That should put the transmission right at the feet of the operator.

Steering can be obtained from a boat scrap yard or purchased new without effort. Fabrication of a rudder should be simple. Best guess is that the boat won't plane, I don't care. Ideally we would hit somewhere around 8-10 knots. As of now all we do is putt around with a trolling motor, so more than likely we'll gain a bit of speed.

Any good reason not to do this? I know I can buy a $500 used outboard and buzz across the lake but for me the building is the fun element.

In Alaska a guy put a small B&S in a Canoe with a prop.
Another guy had a Jet-drive coupled to a Small B&S.

both were noisy and vibrated irritably.
Try a Fwd/Rev transmission out of a Riding Lawn mower.

I bet you can do it very easily - but why?

Here is the only down side - since your FrankenBoat will be using lots of non-marine parts rust is gonna be an issue - you build it, put it in the water and in a few years you have a huge solid chunk of rusty steel that is now attacking your Aluminum boat.

But I would give it a try any way - like the diesel idea - is that an air cooled diesel motor?

Oh yeah - instead of a true inboard look at boat yards for an I/O until that fits and voila - you have all your tranny issues resolved.

It has even been done using an old motorcycle (shaft driven). Use to see a glass boat powered by a bike about 30 years ago in the North Fork of the St. Lucie river in Florida. Handlebars were used for steering and throttle was still on the handlebar. Guy use to Snook fish with it all the time.