any opinions on 40/30 jet CI differences?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboard

Reaction score
Was just doing some research on the different 40/30 jet outboards. The Merc. is 60.8 ci (4-cyl.), the Yamaha is 45.6 ci (3 -cyl.), the Evinrude E-Tec is 52.7 ci (2 cyl.)
I realize they are all rated at 30 hp. at the jet, but is there any benefit to having the bigger ci motor? I was leaning more towards the Yamaha, which is the lightest, but it has the smallest cid of the three.

The merc is a 60/40 not 40/30. They mark the hood with the jet HP not power head HP. Yamaha uses the power head hp along with the etec as they don't come from the factory with a jet.

OK, my bad, that explains why the Merc. ci is way higher. I looked at HP/kW, and they had it @ 40/29 for the 40 hp jet . I mistook that to be the head and the jet hp! DON'T GET OLD! #-o
Thanks!
Now to the 40/30 Yamaha and Evinrude; Yamaha -3 cyl. @ 45.6 ci (747 cc), Evinrude- 2 cyl. @ 52.7 ci (863 cc)--[if I have that right].
Might be doing too much thinking on these, but trying to figure out which one to purchase.
I would like a 60/40, but here in PA. they go by the power head hp. The boat is rated for 40 hp., so that limits me to a 40/30 jet.

i had a 40/30 yamaha jet 40 (at head) 30 (at jet). It was a great motor with no issues. I really liked the advanced tiller that came it with it from the factory. It allowed for easy adjustments of the rpm and was comfortable to operate. I would have no issues recommending it provided it is the right size for your boat. Also, yamaha does have factory jets like mercury. And unlike in the past the hp is rated at the jet not the head. So a 30 jet is actually producing 30 hp at the jet.

I just rigged a F40JEHA on a tunnel flat bottom. 40/30. The cowling says 30 on it. It is rated as a 30 hp jet legally speaking. The model number is F40JEHA, basically a short shaft F40. I wonder if a guy could order a F40JEHA, without the jet foot, and put a short shaft 40 prop foot on it? Hmmmm....

Loved testing the 40/30. Other than testing it in a muddy area with lots of leaves/sticks/lillies. It plugged the intake pretty quickly. The tiller is awesome. It starts and idles at 850 base RPM, and can be adjusted down to around 500 RPM by touching the - button, and up to about 1100 RPM by hitting the + button. Awesome, really cool on a prop drive where you'd want to be able to troll at a real low speed. I never found much use with it on a jet since a jet typically barely moves anyway at the normal 850 RPM idle speed. The owner wasn't impressed with it's turning ability and how quickly it plugged. And the noise at full throttle. He wants to duck hunt flooded timber with it. He ordered/paid for it......that's what he wanted.

The Yamaha doesn't necessarily "come" with the jet, but it's ordered as a jet motor. In the crate comes a tiller handle kit (if ordered as a tiller motor) owners manual, fuel line, and mounting hardware...oh and throttle/shift cable hardware. And I forgot to mention that the F40 comes in it too, without a lower unit at all, and a 30hp cowling. Then the jet foot is actually made by Outboard Jets, INC and comes in a separate box, disassembled, but with good instructions. The dealer assembles it all. It ain't hard to assemble. Time consuming but not hard. The tiller is actually designed as a standard prop foot tiller, and to use it as a jet, the shift cable has to be changed which means disassembly of the tiller to gain access to the linkages and retainers.

Grease ALL of the hardware or you'll have fun getting it back apart to shim the impeller or replace it and the sleeve-which will have to be done periodically. That is the nature of all jets. The best performing jet is a brand new one. Once they wear a little, performance suffers. It also comes with a spare impeller key, water pump key, impeller sleeve, impeller nut retainer, and a spare torsion washer. That stuff goes in the boat with the tool kit. I had to shim one at the river one day. A guide boat was passing and barely moving, engine on the limiter. Caught up with him later on while he was standing in 3 feet of 46 degree water looking up inside the intake trying to figure it out. I couldn't let him suffer through it. Man that water was cold. Even IF the air temp was 85 degrees. Changed the shim locations and got it best we could and off it went...sounded (and looked) a LOT better.

I have only seen ONE ETEC jet and I heard it from literally over a mile away. Boy it was noisy. I guess they're "ok" motors, but I'm not a fan-especially that one jet. None of the jets are as quiet as a prop, but I feel like the Yamaha 40/30 is the quietest and smoothest of them all. Out here, it's all we see. Rarely we'll see a Merc 60/40 or that one ETEC jet, but I'll have to guess that 85% to 90% of them are Yamaha. The guide boats that use jets are ALL Yamaha. I've never seen even an older Merc, Tohatsu, OMC of any kind, or Bombardier jet of any sort.

Tohatsu also has a 25 jet, which is a 40 hp TLDI powerhead. Why they rate them at 25 I don't know. Everyone else rates their 40 powerhead as 30hp jet. That and I'm not a fan of the 2 stroke mostly due to noise when specifically talking about jets. Tohatsu just looks cheesy if you put it next to a Yamaha, IMO, which leads me to believe that they cut costs somewhere to keep the price down. Only Tohatsu I have much experience with is a 20 prop and a 25 Merc prop and neither one impressed me, other than the Merc (tohatsu) 25 which was a 3 cylinder and was silky smooth and nearly silent at idle. But heavy, hard to tilt, and quite slow at only 18 mph on that boat. Same boat with the Yamaha ran 24-25. Lots of variables there but those were the only 2 things I liked about that Merc.

Thanks for the info in the above post. It seems like the Yamaha would be a good choice. I just saw a used 2002 F40JEHA tiller for sale for $2500. Too bad I need a long shaft, or I would go look at it.

All of the 40 jet Yamaha's are considered long shaft (20"). The motor has a "15 inch" leg on it but the foot is longer than a standard prop foot, which makes a short leg into a long shaft motor. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a short shaft jet. At least not with Yamaha. They have to be run high on the transom anyway. Most of the river boats I've mounted them to were 20 3/4" from top to bottom. Some were tunneled but 20 1/2-20 3/4" from top of transom to the top of the tunnel, with the tunnel being about an inch deep and about 18 to 24" wide depending on the model.

OK! understand what you are saying. The boat I want it for is a Tracker Grizzley 1654 FB W/ a 21" transom. Thanks again