1965 Evinrude 9.5 New Member

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coached

Reaction score
Just wanted to intro myself Im a a long time viewer but a short time member. Ive been using the cite to help me refurb and old lone star 14 fter. I have a question about my evinrude 9.5. Its a 1965 model and was running fine until last week. It will only stay idling if the choke is out full. With out the choke it will start and run for approx 5 sec then dies. I have fresh plugs and gas. I know there are some really good motor guys on here and was hoping one of you might have the time to help me out. Thanx again Coach Ed

Thanx Steve, you have any recomendations on where to order a Carb Kit for this model (9522C)? Thank you for the quick reply. Coach

Thanx Pappy Ill look around here before I get on the web. I called a dealer today to see if he wanted to work on it and he said it would be 2 weeks before he could get to it. If I do this myself are there any special tools I will need? Not too sure I want to tackle this carb...I was a C student in shop class. thanx again for your help. Coach

That's totally up to you. Would recommend you take photos along the way if you want to tackle it yourself. Remember that every tiny passage needs to be addressed and cleaned and verified. Core plugs need to be drilled carefully and removed and the calibration pockets beneath need to be cleaned before driving in a new core plug.

Picked up my Kit (part number 382048) last night. Ill take it off tonight when I get home. Ill try to post some pics after Im done. Coach

Got it cleaned out and back on tonight. It started up pretty easy and idled smooth but when I put it in gear and went to a higher rpm it acted like it was running rich. Just bogged down. I have a track meet in the morning so Ill try to adjust it out tomorrow night. If you think it might be something other than the air/fuel let me know. thanx for your help. Coach

Depending on your initial settings and if you changed them....it may very well be running rich.
Always easy to start rich and lean to best air/fuel.
Do you have a high speed adjustment on that particular carburetor?
If not you may need to start at 1.5 turns from lightly closed on your low speed and lean until the engine speeds up then begins to slow again or pops lean. From that point back out around a half turn and that will be a ball park setting for you.
From this setting, if you do not have an adjustable high speed needle, the engine should accelerate just fine.
If you have a high speed jet and no needle I hope you removed and cleaned the jet?? if not it may still be restricted.

Just got done with the adjustment. Running pretty good in the tank. If I have good weather tomorrow Ill take it out to the lake. It was a little smokey but I think its just the carb cleaner burning off. Thanx Pappy, you were a big help. Ill post some pics after Im all done with the project. Coach

Coached, I don't post often but your thread really sparked a note. I just purchased a 1966 9.5 rude that I am refurbishing. The guy sold it to me saying that it hasn't run in about 15 years. I got it running like a sewing machine and am now replacing the seals in the gearcase.
I highly suggest checking out this link if you have stumbled on it yet. This guy gives great detail about the motor and how to tear it down for service. https://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm
Good luck.

Great post, he has done some fine work there. My motor was a barn find and a Pack Rat had made a home in it. Took awhile but its running well now. Thanks to all of you, if I can every help out just let me know. Coach

Well, Im finding that running well in the tank and running well on the Lake is two different things. Can someone explain why?

One of the common problems with the 9.5's is the rubber exhaust gasket would leak and fill the cowling with exhaust fumes choking the motor. Try running it without the cowling to see if it runs better.

You may also have to adjust the idle screw a little (the adjustment knob on the left of the motor). I hope you can get it running. Test ran my 66' 9.5 today. It was the first time in 15 years the motor had pushed a boat. Had my little 12 ft flat bottom up on step and running fast at only 1/2 throttle.
Like mentioned, run it with the cowling off to see if it makes a difference. That little rubber boot that is notorious for leaking is not available through suppliers I have found. If you do find that it is leaking, you may be able to "rig" a fix for it.
Let us know how it works out.

Ive been running mine in a tank because Ive have had a Track Meet the last two weekends. One more on Sat. so may get a chance to put it back on the boat on Sunday. After the carb cleaning Ive adjusted the air/fuel and thought I had it right but came back out and tried it again and it seems doggy when I hit the throttle. I want to get it on the lake with the cawling off and run it out and tune on it a little. I have it on a 14fter with my two young sons and I just feel it should be stronger. I dont need a drag boat but I do want it running at top performance. Thanks again for you help, let me know how yours is working out. Coach

could also be the fuel pump - I just put a new pump on my 4 hp evin - runs really good now.
I also have a 9.5 that I will be rebuilding "maybe" - trying to determine if it's worth doing - will do a compression test soon

That's like an unwritten rule or something. A motor is never fixed until it makes it all the way around the lake without a problem...and then does it again.

I like that Boat2fast, Im gona use that as a rule for this motor. It was a barn find from my wife's grandparents. They stored it but left the cover off of it and a Pack Rat made a home in it...It has low hours on it and I think it will make a fine little motor just may take a little time. Im not one to give up on something but have been shopping on the web for something stronger. May be around the 15hp range. Im not giving up on the this one til Ive gave it a fighting chance. If I can get a Hall Pass this weekend Ill bring my tool box with me. Coach

Latest posts