Boat is pulling to the right

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
I have a 14 ft smokercraft with a 1974 25 hp tiller merc on it . When going wide open my shoulder and arm hurt from fighting the pull. Any suggestions on how to fix this? The motor is in the center of the transom.

Hmm I'm not familiar with that motor, actually didn't know they even made a 25hp in 74, but my guess would be that you need to either adjust or install a trim tab on that motor. It's funny how so many older 25hp motors are missing the trim tab. Mine is missing also. #-o

Unfortunately for you I guess, that motor doesn't have a trim tab. If that motor is suffering from torque on the tiller trying to turn to one side, I'd guess you have some other problem like maybe a bent skag or something along those lines. I just sold a 75 model Merc 200 that I had restored and it didn't have any problems with torque, so I'm wondering why yours would.

Here is what you are looking for, see photo, if you have one, adjust it to counteract the torque of the motor which you will probably only feel at high throttle. So boat is pulling to the right, move tab to the right a little, I think.
Tim

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 202

Latest posts