In the crate Honda - worth?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffco

Reaction score
I'm starting my own build and hope to start a thread on that soon..... One of the items I need is a motor. I have a 9.9hp 1992 Nissan 2 stroke that runs like a top - but I have to open the carb and unstick the needle Every. Blasted. Time.

I was offered a new old stock (1992) in the crate Honda 9.9 four stroke with all the hoses and tank, all new - $1600.

I know nothing about them and have been saving for a new Yamaha 15-20 HP four stroke because I have a dealer here in town.

What do you guys think? I know older four strokes were slower than the new stuff out now.

For what it's worth my boat is a 1457 Alumacraft.

I'm really leaning to getting a new Yamaha. At 1600 bucks, i'm within 1000 $ for a BRAND new, new tech Yamaha.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise I think I'll pass.

Can't find. Nissan parts availability don't go back that far.

Plus, the PO allowed the impeller to dry rot and as a result I've got bits of rubber in the water jacket. Sometimes water gushes out and other times it trickles. Can't get the rubber back out completely.

I always unhook fuel line from motor and let engine run till it runs out and dies keeps float down needle is down too

I do too but the PO allowed gas to sit in the carb for a couple years.

From perusing this subforum it seems there's not a lot of new engine information? I guess most people are buying and using older models?

have you attempted to tear the carb apart and clean the seat and needle? in my opinion, most of us here use older 2 strokes because of the weight. lighter motors do better on our lighter tin boats.

JoshKeller said:
have you attempted to tear the carb apart and clean the seat and needle? in my opinion, most of us here use older 2 strokes because of the weight. lighter motors do better on our lighter tin boats.

Yes I have. See above. I have to do it every time I take it out.

Also, the pieces of rubber are all in the water jacket. I'm kinda done with this engine.

You're asking about switching one 9.9 for a different 9.9 and all the while you've been saving for a 15-20. Seems to me you made your mind up some time ago that you wanted more hp when you started saving for that 15-20. So why are you even thinking about another 9.9 now?

Price

And I've always heard good things about Hondas. Just curious.

I know now most folks here seem to prefer older two strokes.

Way too much money for that Honda considering the age. I'd offer $500 and that's being too nice in reality. I had a new 2001 15hp offered to me for $1500 last year and I passed. Check out what it sold for back when it was made.

1600 is way more than id spend for any 9.9, much less a 1992 even if its new. i would think you would need to go through all hoses, water pump, etc even if its never been ran if its sat for 22 years.

That's what I was thinking. I asked him wouldn't the rubber and plastics be dry rotted or need attention? He said no. Then knocked 100 $ off.

He's lost his mind. Guess I look like a sucker. :)

Look at it this way...the moment you take the Honda out of the box and use it, you have a USED 1992 Honda 10hp. Yes, it's in great shape...but it IS a 22 year old Honda 10hp. It might be worth half of what you paid. That would be a big 'overnight' loss.

For whats it is worth. I had a 10hp honda, about that age, as a trolling motor on a 20 ft boat on lake michigan. It got a lot of use, imagine trolling all day and it ran great all the time, never a problem, for 10 years. Then we sold it and the boat.
Tim

personally i feel hondas are way overrated.
best new motors, yamaha then nissan/tohatsu/merc
best older motors yamaha, johnson/evinrudes.
this is based on 15 hp or smaller. if i were to buy a new motor, i would go with the yammie. cant beat them.
dino