1970 Evinrude Fisherman Tune-Up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired a 1970 Evinrude Fisherman 6hp from my father. The motor had sat for at least 20 years before I got it. I mixed up some 50:1 fuel with TWC-3 oil and gave her a pull. Four pulls of the cord and she started right up. The motor idles pretty well actually. I haven't done any work to it, yet. I plan on replacing the spark plugs this week. I will probably switch to a slightly hotter plug. The only problem with the motor so far, is that under load (prop in gear and cruising the lake) it doesn't seem to want to get up on the power. At full throttle, it just hums at a high idle and spits, sputters, and eventually kicks into the higher rpm's. Very hesitant going from idle to WOT. Even after the motor has warmed up, it continues to hesitate in that manner. Among doing the spark plugs, what else should I be tuning or adjusting to get this motor running top notch? The motor if visibly in beautiful shape. No rust, very few scratches. No corrosion at all on the motor or anywhere visible. Serial number is 6002B-E02079.

Minimum, rebuild carb, New impeller, new gear oil, and check points and coils.

Would not run it long with 20 year old impeller. Enoy the motor!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348642#p348642 said:
bulrid8 » 14 Apr 2014, 08:27[/url]"]Minimum, rebuild carb, New impeller, new gear oil, and check points and coils.

Would not run it long with 20 year old impeller. Enoy the motor!

^^^ This ^^^

Congratulations!

If you do those simple things (and they are simple) that those ^ guys suggested, you will have a "forever" engine. If you take the engine to a pro, probably still not going to cost more than $150, tops, to get the work done.

You have one of the best. :)

Yes. Impellers were designed to fit a number of years. It's like they wanted folks to keep these engines forever!

Google a bit, you will be delighted.
:)

if you really want to keep that motor?

check the compression, make sure the numbers are even before dumping any money. i think compression numbers were around 90 or so on these motors. pull the plugs, lay the motor so the plugs are pointed straight up squirt some triflow or marvel oil in the cylinders and let it sit. spin the motor a few times to coat the walls. this is to free up any stuck rings. fire her up and run some seafoam in the carb to decarbon the pistons.

coils, points, condenser, plugs, wires with boots.

full carb kit with a new plastic float. do it all, pull the aluminum plug and clean the cavity.

if you really want, pull the head and replace the head gasket, that motor is 44 years young and thats the original head gasket.

impeller, new lower oil (85/90) new crush washers for the drain screws.

remove the prop, check for fishing line, lube prop shaft, install new cotter pin.

thats just me, and what i do on a full service. when all this is done proper that motor will run like a sewing machine, run all day at idle or wot with no worries.

nice motors.
dino