Extra horsepower from 60hp Evinrude?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShipwreckStew

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Evinrude VRO that I put a new fuel pump on to run premixed fuel. I have been studying lately on possibly upgrading the carbs to get extra power. Is there a more cost effective way? I have seen on this site where people have bored their intake with files and dremmels to achieve this, but is it possible to do this on an outboard with 3 cylinders? Does anyone have experience doing a project like this on a motor this size?
Thanks,
Stew

You have a 49 cu. in. 60hp. probably.
If memory serves me correctly the venture size between the 60 and 70 carbs is the same. I think the difference was in the porting of the block.
To be sure you can go online and find the parts breakdowns and see which parts are different. Block? Head? etc.
The carbs will have different part numbers due to jetting differences. The reason I say the same venturi is that I have one of those engnes and a set of 60 and 70hp carbs here. I am going to go to a 75hp cylinder and crankcase to produce power on mine. The bottom end power on the 75 sux but the top end is excellent.

Maybe not pappy. 1986 was the first year for the 56 cube motors and the last of the 49 cube motors was 87 or 88 so they over lapped few years there. The later 49 cube blocks used the same porting, the carb size was the difference between the 60,70,75hp motors. Think the 75hp motors was from the prop rated days. Some of the old stingers 75hp motors may have had taller exhaust ports. They did offer a high compression head for the 49 cube motors. Easiest way to tell a 49 cube from a 56 cube is the head. The 49 cube had a 2 piece head so it will have a lot of bolts to hold the 2 pieces together and the 56 had a one piece head so it will only have the 14 bolts holding the head on.

True, that's why I said probably.
For the most part the 60's were still coming out in 49ci form.
Regardlesss, if it was a 49 then the 60 cyl & c'case was p/n 395530
and the 70 cyl & c'case was either 394465 or 397737. For that year, if one was needed it updated to the 56ci block once stocks were depleted.
I have both 60 and 70 carbs (late model) at the house for 49 cu. in. engines and the venturis are identical....unfortunately. If you can come across some older 75hp carbs then I think it may be game on.....they may have larger venturis. I have two sets at the shop but haven't checked them yet. This wasn't mentioned because I don't know how those carbs would have to be jetted to work with the 60 porting.

Latest posts