Milky oil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkrus

Reaction score
Just bought my first boat and it came with a 9.5 evinrude totally new to this I'm draining oil in lower end because I don't know when it was done last anyways thr oil was milky when drained. Besides the fact of water being in the oil what does this mean? I have seen a few videos on changing thr oil and they always mentioned a o-ring around the drain and vent screws.... Neither of mine had mentioned o ring???

Milky oil means water got in there just like you suspect. I have a 48spl johnson and it has o-rings on both screws. Don't know if yours should or not but if it should and don't, that could be the source. I would get the o-rings assuming it needs it, put fresh marine gear lube in there and keep an eye on it. Try draining it after your first fishing trip into a clean pan, check for water, no water put it back in, why waste it? Check prop shaft for fishing line too.
Tim

Also could be bad seals. The gaskets used don't last forever. Fishing line can cause a seal to rupture causing water to penetrate the lower unit. If it is leaking oil at the lower unit then the seals need replacing. It would be just something to check if the motor has sat for a long time.

It is listed as a plug/washer assembly. I'm sure you can get the washer separately, but the price listed is reasonable for the assembly. The head of the drain plug is usually chewed up from people using too small of a screwdriver to remove it. This motor uses a plastic washer as a seal. Newer motors have an o ring with a groove machined under the head of the screw.

Latest posts