Advice on a motor that sat for 8 years

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srr5008

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1998 Evinrude 50hp that has sat outside for the last 8 years. I was looking to see if anyone had any advice on things that I should be looking for, and things that I should outright replace. The owner of the boat dropped it off at his hunting camp, and the guys that were using it (prior to it sitting) were a bunch of woodchucks. I was tinkering with it this weekend and noticed the fuel lines were full of a thick black liquid that looks a lot like motor oil - it had a slight gas smell to it. This motor is set up to run with a separate oil reservoir and pump, as opposed to mixing it right in the tank. The only thing I can think of is that the nimrods that had their hands on this boat didn't realize that and may have mixed 2 stroke oil in with the gas - and over the last 8 years the gas evaporated and the oil was left behind - any thoughts on this?

I think I need to start by replacing all the fuel lines, and cleaning out the carburetors. I plan on replacing the water pump just because it is cheap. The motor compression was in the 95-100psi range on both cylinders. Any other things you guys can recommend that I look at/for?

The black sludge is the fuel line being ate up.

First thing I'd do is take the spark plugs out and spray some oil/wd 40 in the cylinders. Then I'd make sure it turns over. If it does, I'd do a compression test next. If that is good then I'd move on to fuel and clean all the carbs and replace all fuel lines. Personally I'd try and start it here and see if it will run, but just for a second. If it seems as though it will run, I'd replace the water pump. ( that way you're not putting parts in that may be a waste.)

This is just how I'd do it.

Thanks for giving me a line of attack. The motor does turn over, I have gotten that far. Compression appears to be good. The fuels lines disintegrating crossed my mind as well. Sounds like fuel line replacement/carb cleaning is the next item on the list!

Anything that has been in contact with the fuel should be replaced or thoroughly cleaned; fuel lines, carbs, fuel pump, fuel filters etc. Make sure all hoses are in good repair and do not leak air.

Replace the spark plugs, water pump impeller, lower unit oil, check all wiring for rodent damage...

Good as new!

Old-school boaters were taught by their Fathers to run the engine dry at the end of every day out. OMC VRO oil injected engines don't do well with that. While the engine is running out of fuel the oil pump is busy filling up the fuel system with oil. I think you're experiencing the results. Its possible to drain the bowls and flush through with some premix using the squeeze-bulb. One advantage here is buying a good running engine cheap, with a well-preserved fuel system.

Latest posts