Is this repairable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMull53

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398118973.061854.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398118983.876791.jpg

So this is the first time I had my boat out since I bought it in Feb. Some chick rear ends me in stop and go traffic on the highway and cracks the mounting bracket of my motor. Just curious if this is repairable or if she's **** out of luck by having to replace my entire motor? Hope you guys can help me...thanks in advance

Photos could be better and clearer. If its just a mounting bracket then that can be replaced without having to replace the entire motor. It'll still cost that chick's insurance some major green for Marine Mechanic will have to disassemble the motor from the shaft then gut the damaged housing and place in the new housing then reassemble the motor to the shaft. Probably about $300 labor and whatever the replacement housing.
Tight lines!

Even if you replaced the broken pieces I would be worried about other damages that may have happened from the impact. Internal gearing , bent shaft . Did it do any damage to the transom of the boat ? To me that looks really bad but I'm no expert . Hope you are back on the water soon.

Way more than $300 in my opinion. I'd let the insurance co handle it. They will more than likely want to replace the parts vs a new motor.

What year is the motor? Make and model? Some parts like those are not able to be sourced and you might have to get from a marine junkyard or find a spare motor to poach from. Better check that out. I'd say you would be lucky to get out of that repair for less than $500-800.

thanks for all the help and input so far guys...

1. yes its a 1977 Evinrude 1570M

2. no, its not just the mounting bracket that screws to the hull of the boat, the cracked "broken" part is part of the vertical shaft of the motor that allows the motor to pivot left and right. from what I can tell, if it is able to be repaired, yes the motor will have to be taken apart just to remove the broken piece

3. I am concerned with the availability of the part and/or being such an old motor, is it physically able to be repaired in this day and age, I'm not concerned whether ill have a motor or not, its whether ill have a new one sooner, or keep mine but it may take quite some time to repair.

Just watch out accepting payments from the insurance companies - a lot of them will get language in there so that when you sign accepting the payment you release them from further obligation.

Be sure it's either fully repaired, and well tested on open water, or replaced before you settle with the insurance company. Don't let them throw any non-sense your way about depreciated value blah blah blah - they love to push around people who don't understand the concepts of negligence and damages. You had a fully functional XYZ HP motor from whatever manufacturer prior to this person's act of negligence and you should be made whole (IE have a fully functional motor) of similar performance and vintage at the end of the settlement. Finding a clean working motor in a late model is pricey - and it wasn't in any way your fault that their insured doesn't know how to pay attention and drive safely.

Last year my boss got hit the same way and like Onthewater said you need to make insurance take care of it. Being nice could cost you major. Make it clear you want to be made whole. Not just fixed. My boss got a new motor out of the deal. He told the insurance guy he was going to get an attorney and they started jumping through hoops to keep it out of the courts. He got the transom repaired, new motor, and a check for the time he had to spend taking care of all of it and the time he was without use of his boat.

Take your boat to a marine repair shop and get an estimate for repairs and/or replacement. Then hold the insurance company liable for the repairs. If they refuse, hire a lawyer.

Most likely that motor is not repairable, parts are probably not available. So replacement is what is needed. I don't know how much a motor would cost in your area but around here they run about $600+.

Don't let the insurance company intimidate you, and don't except a payout of $300.00 dollars. Remember it's not just the motor, but the time invested to get a estimate, the time to find another motor, and the time lost in using the boat.

I just happen to have a 1978 Evinrude 15hp midsection sitting in my shop. You can have it for 150 plus whatever shipping.

Get a good check from the insurance monsters and then fix it cheap.

I'll post some pics for you to check out. It's in great shape.

Here are the photos of the midsection. Model number is 15855B. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2014-04-24_00-56-10_562-1.jpg
    2014-04-24_00-56-10_562-1.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 743
  • 2014-04-24_01-09-33_916-1.jpg
    2014-04-24_01-09-33_916-1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 743
  • 2014-04-24_00-55-53_548-1.jpg
    2014-04-24_00-55-53_548-1.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 743
  • 2014-04-24_00-56-04_791-1.jpg
    2014-04-24_00-56-04_791-1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 743
If I were in your shoes I would be demanding a replacement motor. You can't eyeball something that may be bent a few thousandths of an inch (drive shaft ect). I'd also question the transom....

Be firm and demanding. Insurance company's are there to make money not be liberal about giving it back

Most likely you will not get a new motor. You might get fair market value for it.

So are you guys saying that if I drove a 1984 F-150 and I got rear ended, I would get a brand new truck?

Where ya gonna find another new 1977 Evinrude motor? Demanding a new one most likely isn't gonna get anywhere.

It's fixable. Finding the parts to fix it is the issue on an older motor. That and the amount of money it would take to fix. Figure in some labor + parts and then you're into what the insurance company would most likely consider a total loss, based on the age of the motor. But that's not necessarily a bad deal.

You "could" let them total it, then buy it back from the insurance company if they'll allow you to. Usually dirt cheap. Then either fix it or sell it for parts, your call since it's your motor at that point. If they total it and you let them keep it, they're going to sell it for scrap (due to it's age). It's not got much value. IF they total it, they'll cut you a check for it's value-whatever they deem that to be (and that's not what YOU think it's worth, or what it would sell for on the market...insurance companies have a formula for figuring the value). It might only be a couple hundred. Or you might make out great.

then I've had customers who have had similar instances, tore up the foot of the motor only, insurance only paid so much, or they would've totalled it and customer would've had to foot the rest on a new motor. So he took the total loss check then sued the insured for the remainder. And won.

Latest posts