Greasing and preventative maintenace

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Have about 20+ hours on a newly rebuilt 1994 Johnson 50/35 jet. Running great with no problems to date. Was just browsing through my service manual today and noticed I should be greasing a few points every 60 days or so, which I haven't been doing. Going to order some OMC Triple Guard Grease which will cover 99% of what I need to grease, but my manual also calls for OMC starter pinion lube to lube my starter. Can't find that anywhere, but I do use Lubriplate grease to grease my jet pump. Thinking the Lubriplate grease would also work for the starter?

You need something light, like sewing machine oil. In a pinch, you use the 3 in 1 oil, which seems to work well. From what I've been told, no matter what you do, do NOT use WD-40 or other spray lubricants on this component.

Thanks!! I went ahead and put some of the Lubriplate grease I use for my jet pump on the starter "gear". It's a pretty thin grease, but certainly not like a machine oil. Should I clean it off and use some 3 in 1 instead?

Latest posts