1988 johnson 25 problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
My uncles just gave me his 1988 johnson 25 for my jon boat. He had it running 3 years ago and we tried to crank it but got nothing. I know the carb needs to be rebuilt but it seems like the starter may be gone bad to. Any ideas on how i could check or any other suggestions?

if you know the carb needs rebuilt then I would do that and go from there. what makes you think the starter is gone bad? is the battery fully charged?

That's a great motor. I have the 1988 30 hp.
Since it setup so long. LU oil, water pump, carb, plugs. Have a qualified mechanic look it over if you don't work on motors.

I fully charge the battery before i look at the motor. when i go to crank it sometimes it starts to turn over, other times all i can hear is a little whinnying noise from around the starter. At the end of the month im going to take it to a mechanic. I was just seeing if anyone had any thoughts so I could figure out how much this would hurt my walllet.

That little noise is an indication that you have insufficient voltage to run the starter properly. Check to make sure your cables are good, that you don't have connections finger tight instead of properly tightened. Put a volt meter on and see what you have. Very simple troubleshooting here.

Finally have the motor running after a rebuild on the carburetor and replacing a few other things, shes running like a champ. Now the paint is flaking badly, does anyone know the procedure to repaint it. I want to repaint it the original color and get new decals for it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351852#p351852 said:
lgpjr49 » 09 May 2014, 18:09[/url]"]Finally have the motor running after a rebuild on the carburetor and replacing a few other things, shes running like a champ. Now the paint is flaking badly, does anyone know the procedure to repaint it. I want to repaint it the original color and get new decals for it.

nymarine.com will make you decals...bout a hundred bucks but they are worth it, best ive seen besides factory decals wich you cant get any more unless you get lucky and find someone with some NOS ones... they also have factory matched paint. if I were to re-paint it I would disassemble everything and sandblast it to bare metal and prime it and shoot it, its a bit of work but well worth it in the end.... them are great motors!

Latest posts