Power Trim & Tilt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrNip

Reaction score
Since the purchase of my 25 HP ETEC w/ PT&T failed and I'm looking for another motor it's has me wondering if I really need PT&T on that small of a motor. Is it really necessary to be constantly adjusting the trim or can you find an 'optimal' position with manual trim, and just leave it at that?
I've never owned or driven a boat with a small tiller outboard. I plan on fishing small to medium lakes and don't see me really going on long trips in the the boat. Just shooting from fishing spot to fishing spot. Thinking I could save the $800 or so extra for PT&T and apply it towards a nice GPS/fish finder.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350901#p350901 said:
DrNip » 11 minutes ago[/url]"]Since the purchase of my 25 HP ETEC w/ PT&T failed and I'm looking for another motor it's has me wondering if I really need PT&T on that small of a motor. Is it really necessary to be constantly adjusting the trim or can you find an 'optimal' position with manual trim, and just leave it at that?
I've never owned or driven a boat with a small tiller outboard. I plan on fishing small to medium lakes and don't see me really going on long trips in the the boat. Just shooting from fishing spot to fishing spot. Thinking I could save the $800 or so extra for PT&T and apply it towards a nice GPS/fish finder.

IMO that's the smart way to go... save the 800 bucks that is and put it towards something else like you mentioned. how bigs your boat? make?

I have a Yamaha F25 and I kinda wish I had the power trim tilt. Lifting in in shallow water is a PITA and it would be nice to be able to fine tune if I have passengers. My boat runs great at the set position I have it at but I find myself wishing I had the tilt.

I just added an accessory PTT to my Johnson 30. The boat is a 14ft SeaNymph rowboat. Now, I don't have to compromise on the tilt-pin position. Cruising at part throttle with it trimmed down gives a straight soft level ride. The boat goes around turns best like that. When I want to go fast, just hit the gas and bring the bow up. The boat runs high 30s and has touched 40.

Without the trim, I had to set the tilt pin all the way out to go fast. It was a battle to get planed off and the prop hooked up. Set up like that, the boat would porpoise all over the lake at any speed less than full throttle...and forget turns and corners.

If the pin was set in to the next hole, the boat was usable. Set in one more hole and it would handle great, but it wouldn't go over low 30s.

With the trim, the boat is easily driveable at all speeds...including wack-o. I can run my 17p prop all the time, not just with the tilt pin all the way out. It has taken some seat-time to get the knack of it all, like anything else.

Thumbs up for power trim.

if youll be idleing or using it around rocks, then no, t&t isnt what i'd want- id want something that allows the motor to easily kick up. otherwise, t&t is a god send

I had a 35 Johnson manual start & tilt on my 14' Starcraft. Then repowered with 30 E-TEC electric start with power trim & tilt. Love the new motor & the extra $ was well spent in my opinion!!

I'm going with my original gut feeling of power tilt and trim. Was just putting a feeler out there to see if I really needed it and if not apply it to a side imaging. Side imaging will just have to wait until later this year. :D

How you liking the ETEC? Does having to mix the oil with the gas get old or are you use to it?

No mixing, it's oil injected. Oil tank is under the hood on the side of the motor. It's very efficient on oil & gas!! The old motor burned 3 times as much fuel. I suggest running xd100 & having the motor programmed for the xd100 oil. Still has the power & hole shot of a 2 stroke with the economy of a 4 stroke & just about as quiet. Absolutely love this motor!

On a smaller motor you should really just be looking at power tilt. My suggestion is HECK YES! Especially if you are going to fork up for a newer motor. Not only is it really cool and easy, whenever I get to where I am going I just raise the motor up out of the water to protect the lower unit. And riding through hazardous areas I keep a close eye on the depth finder and my co anglers advice keeping my finger on the "up" button.

Check out "onlineoutboards.com". A company out of tennessee that sells tahatsu and nissan. I love my tahatsu 20 power tilt and the purchasing experience was quick and easy; had the motor at my door in ny in 3 days and the people were great. I got it for $3169 shipped a few months ago

My friend has a 20hp tahatsu, it's been a good motor for him. My only dislike is that it is power tilt only. You can't trim his when you are up on plane. Other than that it's a great running 4 stroke, quiet & sips fuel!!

I will be traveling to Hot Springs Arkansas within the next week or so to purchase a Tohatsu 30 HP w/ PT&T.

zrxfishing said:
quiet & sips fuel!!

I found it unbelievable how little fuel this motor burns. In two trips jamming 20 minutes at a time up and down the river it only burned about a gallon and a half. My old evinrude 9.9 would have eaten double that.

Latest posts