was i dooped?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkrus

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first tin,trailer,motor from someone
On craiglist. When I went to look at it the guy said motor runs good
(Evinrude 9.5 ) he then pulled rope and fired right up,ran about 5seconds
Then he shut off because it wasn't in water. Also gave me a 6galtank
But didn't have the hose and bulb. Today I went and put gas in
The tank attached the new line I purchased from Wal-Mart ,arrow on bulb
Pointing towards engine, pumped and pumped and pumped some more
And no pressure was building? Took line off at engine pushed in the little check ball
And pumped some more....no fuel coming out??? Then I tried pulling the
Rope and the gear would just spin it wasn't lifting up
Into the flywheel, i would then lift it in to it to engage
The gears but motor wouldn't start even with spraying wd40 into carb
Does any one have any suggestions as to why I couldn't get fuel to flow
And maybe what to look for on starting motor?

Sounds like you got a bad bulb/hose. I would guess that he was using a different hose assembly to originally start the motor?

make sure the spool and sleeve assem of the starter is clean. I know with mine it needs to be fairly clean and have a good tug on the rope to get the starter gear to engage the flywheel.

Also, as I understand modern WD40 will not make an engine pop. Get some pre-mix in a sprayer and shoot it down the carb throat. It will more than likely go bang then.

Be careful with spraying gas in carb or cylinder too. Couple weeks ago a guy sprayed a bit too much in a cylinder and blew the head loose and the plug out. No need to try it anyway, fix the hose and bulb issue first, then the flywheel issue, then get some earmuffs for it or for a 10 hp you can use a big bucket. Don't run it without water to the impeller.
Tim

I hear people all the time starting a motor dry and just running it for a few seconds. A few seconds is all it takes to melt the water pump impeller running it dry. A few more seconds and the housing starts to melt.

Maybe check the impeller before heading out on the water. Inspect the pump housing too for signs of melting. You sure didn't get much of a test drive before you bought it.

It's possible the seller was hiding something. It's also possible he just didn't know any better. Either way you may want to exercise a little extra care preparing the engine for use. Don't risk overheating it.

Something else just occurred to me. Hold the fuel bulb vertical, instead of horizontal, until the bulb is filled with fuel. The check valves in the bulb need gravity to seat until there is fuel inside. Hold the bulb with arrow pointing up. If that doesn't work then we look for a problem.

Thanks for the info I will try that when me and the Mrs get back from church

Another question the motor is a 72 evinrude 9.5 the seller
Mentioned I should get 1/4 fuel line but when I went to get it
All I could find was the 3/8 so that's what I got.... Should I search harder for the
1/4 inch line?

Check inside the tank to see if the pickup tube is still connected. I have a small tank someone gave me and for whatever reason it just doesn't work. It's not a bad idea to have spare parts so an extra fuel line/bulb and tank to test with might help. I've had to lend people fuel lines, fittings, tanks and of course tow people in so extra parts won't be a waste.

prolly the bulb. i HAD a walmart one that worked for about 5 minutes. sure enough when i bought the more expensive moeller one it worked like a charm

Latest posts