Bought a brand new 1983 Mercury 4.5 hp outboard.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwew

Reaction score
This was a find of a life time.
Back in February I stopped at an estate garage sale early in the morning.
The Lady had everything for sale at the place. I walked around and there was so much stuff I wanted that I would of been in the dog house if I bought everything I wanted. I was looking for about 30 minutes. I walked in a room that was a hobby place. There was a south bend lathe that I was looking at. While checking the lathe out I saw an outboard on a stand in a corner to the right of the lathe. It looked like it was there for years. I ask the lady if she knows anything about this motor. She said her husband kept it for a boat he was going to build. All the original packaging including the temporary and permanent owner warranty registration cards, owners manual and sales receipt and fuel tank. He paid $662.50 for it back in 6-13-1985. I ask how much and she said $250.00. I paid her promptly and loaded it in the Volvo.

The first thing I did was remove the spark plug and put the engine on tilt. I moved the piston to top dead center and filled the combustion chamber with fogging oil and let it sit over night. Next I dropped the gear case and installed a new water pump impeller and seal kit. The fuel tank hose and primer bulb was hard and they were replaced. Pulled the gear case oil plugs and drained out the oil and filled it with new 90 weight gear oil.

When I first started it I fogged the motor right away. So much fog that my wife said she could not see me. The motor was broken in according to the operators manual. So far we ran two tanks in it. The engine runs very good. It is not as smooth as the Evinrude 4 Deluxe but it has more guts. The Evinrude would push my small 12 foot Lowe semi-v very well with myself but, this Mercury 4.5 gets it up on plane with myself. I am very surprised it can do this. I bought one of these same outboards new back in 1986 that was rated @ 4 hp and I liked it. It was a good outboard for restricted lakes that had a five hp limit. Well this outboard brings back memories. Right now I am stocking up on some extra spare parts.
I always liked the looks of these Mercury's. I feel it's one of the best looking small outboards ever built.

Oh, we can purchase ethanol free 89 octane fuel so It should have no carb problems.

I will try to post some pictures later.

I think I am stocked up enough on props for this outboard. I have four 7 inch pitch and two 6 inch pitch.

The six inch pitch will be the best selection on the G3 1448PF. I think it might push it about 8-9 mph. This outboard will be the main propulsion until I get a 25 hp outboard. But the 4.5 will be my outboard for restricted lakes.

Latest posts