20hp 4 stroke suzuki help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I know a few people here have a new 20hp 4stroke suzuki so i'm going to ask my question here.I noticed today when my motor was running in idle it was fine but when i just put it in gear it had like a ticking noise in the lower unit,almost like it was vibrating but not because the prop is really snug.Ok here is the best way i can explain it and i hope it's normal.

When i spin the prop on way with the motor off it's fine and queit.When i grab the hub part and twist back and forth with the motor in idle and off it has like a weird sound like something is loose in the lower unit.It sounds like a lose washer or something but everything seems to work ok,the motor engages ok and runs ok.When i run water to it and then put it in gear either way it sounds like the prop is vibrating or is lose but it all works ok and is snug so i hope this is just the way the lower unit works.

Is this normal.It is all tight it just sounds like a ticking or something loose in the lower unit.I never really payed attention to it before until now.

Like i said i just grab the hub twist foward and backward pretty fast and it has a weird rattle lose sound of something in the lower unit,maybe it's normal i hope.I'm hoping someone can answer me before tom as i'm going out but may have to put those plans on hold if this is not normal.

Any help would be great.

Could that be from breaking it in,because the gears haven't meshed yet.I fig since the lower unit was filled with oil you wouldn't hear something like that.I'm going to take it down to my local suzuki marina just so they could check it out anyway.

Mine does it (yamaha F25)
the 3 at the shop all do it. F25, 25ESH, and a F50TLR Yamaha. Dad's 9.9 JohnnyRude does it. Also have a 90ETLJ jet but obviously it's not going to make that noise. No prop.

Take all the gear oil out and the noise gets a little louder. It's just geartrain slack noise. The gears require some clearance between the meshing teeth and that clearance is what you are hearing when you shake the prop back & forth. I once shimmed a 15 HP Yamaha lower unit improperly, by mistake, and it didn't make any noise. But it didn't last long either.

Thank you turbotodd,you are 100% correct,after doing extensive research you hit the nail on the head and put me at ease,every outboard has it for clearance.Thank you again for the info.

Latest posts