How to hook up steering wheel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mxracer118

Reaction score
I'm 15 and just got my boaters license and also bought an alumacraft 1648. It has a Johnson 20 hp motor and a steering wheel but no cables attached. What are they called and where do I find them? And also would they be worth the money? Getting really excited about all of this and plan in making a deck and doing other things. Thanks

The Alumacraft 1648 is a nice boat. What model is your Johnson 20hp?

I run the same boat with a 1987 Johnson 40. There is no console in mine. Too much complexity...sacrifice too much room. Before adding a ton of lumber to your boat, put the same weight in sand bags and take them for a ride. If you can live with the reduced performance, then order your lumber. You will have made a better informed decision.

If you are set on a console, there are two choices for steering. Cable pulley or Teleflex cable. Teleflex is a far neater more modern set-up. Teleflex has a website with ALL the information you need.

Use care when drilling holes in your nice new boat. I toss and turn all night long before drilling a hole in an aluminum boat. A drilled hole is permanent scar. Boats full of holes don't bring high prices. You wouldn't believe some of the nice old collectable boats I've seen ruined with saws and drills.

Thanks guys for all the answers but we are gonna go without the steering wheel setup. Still super excited about this and I started painting it today. Thanks again