1978 55 hp Evinrude low end rebuild?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

He Reigns

Reaction score

Is it worth it to try and fix this unit. It appears to have run without any oil and I have only started to tear into it. This bearing is in pieces and the unit is either jammed up or seized up. Cannot turn drive shaft or propeller. Ideas, comments, suggestions are always welcome! My ultimate goal is to put a jet pump on this so if anyone has or know where one is please let me know.

Might be worth a try to put some penetrating oil in it and let it soak for a while. If it wont free up then it is your new boat anchor :LOL2: but on a serious note it might not be worth messing with as it was run without oil it could have broken gears and other junk rusted solid in the housing. But hey if it will free up you could probably rebuild the housing for less than what you could buy an aftermarket rebuilt one for or you could sell the housing and put the $$$ towards a jet pump. But in all reality here if you can find an outboard parts yard ( they do exist my local mechanic has about everything from1960's -1990's ) you can probably find what you need in good shape for a decent price. I'd probably go and try to find the jet pump, if that is your ultimate goal for the motor, hey ask around, even put an add in the local paper, it's more than likely someone in your local area has was you want laying around in a shed, garage, or shop. I wish you good luck on whichever you may choose to do and I hope you are able to find the jet pump you want.

I have been around this block a couple of times recently. You may be much better off waiting until you can find a good used lower unit. If you want to take this one apart to learn the ins and outs, or to save the lower unit housing, that would be as far as I would go. These engines can be found readily...probably for less than the cost of rebuild parts. Obviously, you would want to check the lower unit fluid on any used engine. If the seller agrees, pop the lower off and see how it rolls over. Check the shafts turn straight...if you have the opportunity. Explain that if you can't hear it run then you can only consider it for parts...or scrap. People understand this. It's fair.

Thanx for the help!!! Guess my search for a motor is still on. I did locate a lower unit for this motor for $400.00, ouch. Jet Pumps for this motor in non existent in my area. Some thing will come up.....eventually.