Need opions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenrace

Reaction score
I have a monark 1652 rivited boat. It started out with a 35 tiller and the owner decided he wanted to go faster so he put a 73 mercury 50 remote steer on it. I don't know how it ran with 35, but the 50 mercury it ran good. Maybe 25 mph.
I bought the boat off my buddy ran it a couple years and came across a 99 model 60 horse Johnson with tilt and trim . Did some horse trading for it. Im just wondering if it would be to much motor for it?

I have a monark 16/44. It is rated for up to a 60 horse. It ran a 50 all its life by previous owner. He did say he tried a 75 on it once, but it was way to much motor. What is yours rated for?

Tough deal, kinda hard to make recommendations without the plate. You might scavenge the internet to see what its rated for.

I found some info on net says its rated for a 35 I just not sure. But that 50 pushed it good. Was one time the river current was so bad it wouldn't do nothing but cavitate. Also asked the previoise owner how it ran with the 35 he said about 15 mph.

Also right now its a bare boat with wooden floors. But eventually going to add a deck some storage areas and a livewell. So im going to be adding some weight to the boat

I have seen 16' boats rated from 35 hp to 120 hp. If it were me I would find out for sure what it was rated for before doing anything. My buddy's Lund 16/52 is rated for a 35. He runs a 40/20 jet pump. Even then we reinforced the transom. Last year I saw tickets handed out for people having motors larger than what the hull is rated for. Safety and Caution is warrented in situations like this.

I agree 100% thats why im asking for opions. Had a guy going to trade a 35 evinrude for my 60 but I was reluctant to do it. I still may do the trade. Im pretty sure its rated for the 35. I just know how it ran with the 50 and figured the 60 wouldn't be that much more but im still leary of putting it on. The 50 didn't have tilt and trim the 60 does so I figured that make a lil difference also.

According to iboats boat specs....

1976 MonArk Marine 1652
The 1976, 1652 is a 16 foot outboard boat. The weight of the boat is 292 lbs. which does not include passengers, aftermarket boating accessories, or fuel. The max rated horsepower of this boat, as listed by the manufacturer, (according to records we have) is 35 hp .

The 1972 model was rated the same.

Tim

My C1652V is rated 35 tiller and 60hp remote.It's a newer welded boat with a 20" transom.With a 35hp you should be going better than 15mph...more like 28mph.A 50hp probably closer to 35 mph...I'm using a old 30hp and going 27ish.

Mine is also...well 6* dead rise.
A lot of things may be happening without seeing your setup or knowing pitch,condition of boat,prop etc...
A 50hp on a light aluminum, should get you above 30mph...
Although with you saying maybe 25mph, are u using a gps?

No gps and 25 was kind of rounding up. Not to sire what it run really I just know my 17 foot stratus runs around 40 with the 115. And I know my monark doesn't feel like it is no where nesr that fast.

Latest posts