MERC 4STROKE OIL

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used 10w 30 quicksilver 4stroke oil to break in a new outboard with good results?I mean is all fc-w rated oil equal?If so i will just use the quicksilver oil from walmart to break my outboard in.I'm planning on using it for the first 20hrs then switching over to full synthetic oil after.

I used the oil that was in it when I got it. Then couldn't find merc oil. Anywhere near me and got screwed when I ordered some. So I switched to quicksilver. Seems to work good. Quicksilver has been around for awhile I don't think it would be a problem

Quicksilver is made by Mercury.

For break in use conventional oil, then on the first oil change switch to synthetic if you desire synthetic. Even the manufacturer uses conventional for the 'break in' period. Mercury puts conventional oil in their motors except for the Verado super charged outboards, those they say should run synthetic, but break in on them is even conventional oil.

Have fun.

That is what i used,10w 30 quicksilver,i know it's just good old plain mineral oil with mercs additives added to it.I know this would be a whole dif thread sometime but it makes no sense whether a outboard is broke in with synthetic or mineral oil,oil is oil,yes i know the whole theory is the synthetic is to slippery but you watch and see in the next say 5-10yrs that will all change.

This is almost like when all manufactures said never use synthetic in an outboard ever and that was the case a while back,now some manufactures want you to do it after break in.In time it will all be synthetic for break in.It doesn't really matter whether you use synthetic or mineral oil in an outboard anyway as it will do the job but i do know the synthetic does protect a bit better.The problem is from all i have read and heard is that synthetic oil keeps an outboard motor to cool so it doesn't reach full operating temp(mostly people who troll with them) and can cause condensation which in turn will look like your making oil as with reg oil it will burn a bit hotter.How true this is,who knows.I do know that most if not the majority of people after breaking in an outboard they go to synthetic.

But anyway thanks for the info.I just have never used mercs oil.I have heard good and bad things but mostly with their 2stroke oil,that it smokes like crazy compared to other tcw-3 oil,but this is 4stroke oil.

Latest posts