BOUGHT a 1958 JOHNSON FDE-12, Electric Starting 18HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

I found a 18HP "short-foot" Johnson at a local estate sale Wednesday night.
(The executor said that NOBODY even looked at "that old thing, as it's greasy & grubby looking".)

After a careful inspection, I found that it needs ONLY "the usual suspects" (points, plugs, condensors, water-pump impeller, etc.) replaced & a GOOD BATH with soap & water. - Even the paint & decals are "OK", though far from mint.

It will power my "new to me" late '50s Lone Star King Commander, that a friend gave me. = 18HP should push the open tinny fisherman along just FINE for "perch jerking" for crappie, catfishing & running trotlines/set-hooks/etc.

NOW, I have to look for & restore a light 1950s trailer (or build one) to put the Lone Star/Johnson OB upon.

yours, satx :D

VERY NICE!

justathought: consider getting a more contemporary trailer already put together and road-worthy, it will save you considerable grief...and sadly, I know this through experience.

Pappy,

AGREED. Over 100 people went to the estate sale, saw the OB & according to the executor & his wife NOBODY else even LOOKED AT the little 18HP and/or asked the price.

"Color me" PLEASED, satx

Kismet,

I've had ZERO luck so far finding a suitable trailer for the Lone Star, that doesn't weigh about 1000 pounds.
(99% of the trailers around here are for BIG/HEAVY bass-boats, I/O ski-boats OR for conventional IB boats.)

What I'm looking for is an "artillery trailer" that weighs NO MORE than 200#.
(My 1986 M-B 300SDL only has 148BHP & cannot safely tow more than 1200# gross weight.)

THANKS for the advice.

yours, satx

Latest posts