water pump woe's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malaki

Reaction score
So ive had this motor for 5 years now. It came with the boat. The owner. Said it ran but the impeller was bad. So i replaced it and it had a nice stream of water, but i didnt have the shift linkage right. Took it apart and fixed that but no water pumping. Ive had this thing apart 25 times or more over the years trying to figure it out. I thought it was the tube not going into the pump. But you cant see in there and my fat fingers cant fit in there to guide it in. Last year i got the idea to put a piece of pvc on the neck of the water pump to guide the tube into place. Thats when the carb quit. Got the parts in and installed. Fired up and with some adjustment is running good. But no water. Tore it down again and checked the impeller and looks new. Tried again, no water just exhaust comming out of the hose. Im out of ideas...

Have you checked to make sure the tube that carries the water from the block to the outlet (pee tube) is clear and not packed up with anything? If not disconnect it at the block and blow some air down and out the tube with a compressor (don't blow back towards the motor) see if that helps any.

what did the old impeller look like , was it whole all the pieces there. If it was broken you may have one of those pieces stuck in your water jacket some where . it can create a hotspot any fry it It is very important to change the water pump often . every year or at least every other year . those little rubber arms sit in one place for a winter and get stiff ,"now you want me to move ,I don't think so !" Believe me its a whole lot better to change it in your garage under ideal conditions than to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a fried outboard with hunger skeeters looking at you like lunch !

Sorry! its a merc 9.8 model 110, 1975. blew air through all the lines and seem clear. it pumped a good stream the first time. Im fishing today ill work on it later 8)

may sound silly, you did put the key in the impeller ? if not it will not pump . Put a little grease on it and stick it to the shaft , then slide the impeller down the shaft and line up with the key . I've had a few 'old timers moments' it can happen .

The key fell into the housing so i took it all apart to get to it. Everything is clear and the impeller is turning.

Sounds like a water obstruction at some point. I'd check every bit of the water passage from the water pickup tube up to the block. Have you tried turning the shaft manually with the lower unit in a tub of water to test the pump?

Got it back the next day! I had the impeller in backwards. I admit I dont know what im doing! He had a good laugh, no charge! Ive had it out 2 times. Hasnt been used on a long time. Everthing was stiff but is getting better. Been tweeking things here and there in the tank. The only thing i havent figured out yet is the lock to keep the motor from tillting up in reverse. I had to use pliers to work it up and down. PB blaster is working good getting things working again!

turn the motor upside down, look to see if the water tube is bent, up near the power head. The tube is long and not very rigid and can at times become bent enough that the pump isnt going into the water tube.

+1 on attaching a water hose to the water tube and see if you get water flow through the head.

dino