Tilt setting in between

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark3

Reaction score
I have a 20hp thtsu on my 1442. Runs great and fast but hits the rev limiter at WOT. I can't really afford to fork up for a prop right now.

When I set the angle of the motor, one setting is a hair inward and the other a hair outward. Which would be the lesser of the two evils on a flat bottom boat with two batteries, 2 dudes and gear?

Why not either send off your prop to a prop shop or take it in to a dealer and have it sent off. The prop shop can add cup to your propeller and take care of the issue. This will also add bow lift to the prop. Win/win situation for a bunch less than a new prop.

If it's on the limiter, you need more pitch. Sometimes prop shops can add a little pitch to it. SOMETIMES. Depends on how cheesy the Tohatsu aluminum prop is; sometimes they break. And sometimes it costs almost as much as a new prop-especially on the smaller props.

The trim pin....sometimes if it's moved "out" another hole, it'll start to porpoise (bow bouncing). Common on jon boats; mine included. Problem with mine is that if I move it out one hole, it porpoises. If I move it in one hole, it's plowing water. I put a couple round spacers on the pin itself (slid the pin through the spacers) to find a happy medium. Worth about 1.5 mph too.

Changing up the prop in a way that may add some bow lift might also contribute to porpoising. Every boat and motor is different, however, and generally the only way to know is to try it and see.

Adding pitch to a blade and adding cup to a blade are two entirely different operations. Adding pitch can be rough on an aluminum blade however adding cup to the blade....not so much.
The cost is less than half the cost of a new propeller or less to have this done. We send props off every Monday and Thursday. Have never seen costs go past this. Usually less unless a new hub is required. If a hub is needed plus blade repair it normally runs about half the cost of new.

How about looking at any possible weight that you can move/shift. If you have the ability to move some weight forward, move the pin out in conjunction with the weight moving forward to get what you need. Or go the reverse of that and move weight back and pin in.

Latest posts