Help with 2000 Mercury 25HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will15120

Reaction score
I bought this motor about two moths ago and when I bought the motor it ran horrible so at that time I spent the money and had a marina check everything and then fix what was broken. As I expected the Carb needed and rebuild along with replacement of the reeds. That was all done professionally about 5 weeks ago. Since then nothing but ethanol free gas has been used and I run the motor dry of gas every time I take it out of the water. Today after starting and running it a few times it took a bit more to start but then when I hit the throttle it would bog down and die. But if I put it in hear hit the throttle slowly as I pulled the choke it got on plain and I could release the choke and it was all good until I let it idle and it just died. The Marina will be getting a call in the morning but of nothing happens I will tackle it myself. Any suggestions? All help is appreciated!

Sure sounds like a carb problem to me. If they rebuilt carb just 5 weeks ago you shouldnt be having this problem unless a fuel line is breaking down and some small piece of rubber got into the jets.

stevesecotec02 said:
Sure sounds like a carb problem to me. If they rebuilt carb just 5 weeks ago you shouldnt be having this problem unless a fuel line is breaking down and some small piece of rubber got into the jets.

I thought the same thing that 5 weeks it shouldn't already be having problems. The main fuel like from the gas tank to motor is brand new.

Could be carb problem, loose carb, poor fuel, fuel line coming apart, fuel pump failing, float valve sticking, float valve failing, air leak somewhere, and a few other things that aren't common.

5 weeks...is it the same fuel that was in the tank 5 weeks ago? ;)

Nope when I bought it I replaced all the gas with fresh ethanol free has treated with stabil. I have probably burned about 6 gallons since the marina rebuilt it. It has been 7 weeks since it was in the shop. I took it to them and they agreed that if it is related to anything with the carb or parts they worked on that it would be covered by them.

Latest posts