Motor Upgrade Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Y_J

Reaction score
I've seen in here where some folks have been able to upgrade their OB motors to the next higher HP. What I would like to find out is, that I have a Sears Gamefisher 3.5 HP (217.585230). Can this motor be upgraded to a 5 HP and if so, just what would I have to do and replace to make the upgrade. I've never done this before so please be specific if possible. Thank in advance for any help with this.

pull up the schematics for your year and the 3.5 and 5hp and look whats different. carb,intake etc... but even if you could do it you would never notice the 1.5hp difference so in my opinion it would be a waste of time....

Thanks for your input, shawnfish. I don't know the year of this motor as yet. the number on it is 217.585230 so based on the number, if anyone can tell me what year this thing is, I surely would appreciate it.. Thanks again, shawnfish.

ok...... go to searspartsdirect.com and use their search engine and choose model and then enter your 217.585230 (that's your model number) youll see what I mean when you go there. do that search and youll see your parts schematics but no reference for a year so im guessing that they did not change their design... also google 1.5hp sears gamefisher parts ( that's where I found the first site I told you to go to) and theres a bunch of stuff that may be helpful.... good luck

Thank you, Shawn for all your help and input. I've been on the sears parts site a bunch of times and studied over the schematics. I'll hit it up again and see if I missed something. Thanks again.

Y_J,

You didn't ask for my advice BUT I'll save you some PAIN & AGONY. = Sears Gamefisher outboards are a PITA to get "maintenance parts" for, need a LOT of "special tools" and SOME of the year-model parts are simply GONE.

Sell it to someone "unsuspecting" & get a 1957-70 Evinrude, Gale or Johnson 2-cylinder of 10HP or larger
and
a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNERS GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER, off of amazon.com.
(You can thank me for this advice with "a tall, cold, one" sometime after you've avoided MOANING over how HARD to repair a Sears OB is.)

Fyi, I've been "messing about with" OMC OBs of the 1957-70 period for 40+ years & NO modern OB is as TOUGH, SIMPLE to work on, CHEAP and OVER-engineered as those OB are.
(Fwiwi, with a copy of Max Warzyniak's book, a decent 50.oo OB from a garage sale, about 20.oo worth of wrenches/screwdrivers/hammer, about 100.oo worth of parts/lubricant/soap & water & a modicum of COMMONSENSE you will have a GREAT & Long-lived motor. = You need NOT be a mechanic to work on a 2-cylinder OMC of that vintage.)

NO, I do NOT work for Max and/or Amazon. Instead, I'm one of "Max W's legion of fans/apostles".

yours, satx

your welcome, glad I could help some. but like I said even if you can make your 3.5 a 5hp you may end up being somewhat disappointed because I think it would be hard to notice much of a difference in power but hey man to each their own and I say go for it if that's what you wanna do. good luck and let us know what ya find out.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353377#p353377 said:
satx78247 » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]Y_J,

You didn't ask for my advice BUT I'll save you some PAIN & AGONY. = Sears Gamefisher outboards are a PITA to get "maintenance parts" for, need a LOT of "special tools" and SOME of the year-model parts are simply GONE.

Sell it to someone "unsuspecting" & get a 1957-70 Evinrude, Gale or Johnson 2-cylinder of 10HP or larger
and
a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER, off of amazon.com.
(You can thank me for this advice with "a tall, cold, one" sometime after you've avoided MOANING over how HARD to repair a Sears OB is.)

Fyi, I've been "messing about with" OMC OBs of the 1957-70 period for 40+ years & NO modern OB is as TOUGH, SIMPLE to work on, CHEAP and OVER-engineered as those OB are.
(Fwiwi, with a copy of Max Warzyniak's book, a decent 50.oo OB from a garage sale, about 20.oo worth of wrenches/screwdrivers/hammer, about 100.oo worth of parts/lubricant/soap & water & a modicum of COMMONSENSE you will have a GREAT & Long-lived motor. = You need NOT be a mechanic to work on a 2-cylinder OMC of that vintage.)

NO, I do NOT work for Max and/or Amazon. Instead, I'm one of "Max W's legion of fans/apostles".

yours, satx

I could not agree more or said it better except that I would say around 57 all the way up to 1990 if were talking small outboards. best built,toughest (over engineered) most dependable outboards(if maintained wich like you said is cheap and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work on them) on the planet hands down..... I got a 62 5.5 fisherman that looked like it sat for 30 years and I put new oil, plugs and gas in it and it started on the second pull, that was ten years ago or so and all its had done to it is fresh lower lube and plugs every year and it runs like a top...

he never did say what kind of boat he had so I don't know if he needs 10 horses but you can find motors like the one I got on craigs list for a couple hundred bucks all the time...

also its probably not a good idea to suggest people sell something to somebody who doesent know any better... honesty is ALWAYS the best policy and people who do good get good...

wow thanks guys.. I have been looking around for a good used 10-15 HP. The boat is a 12" (actually 11'5") and at it's widest it's 48". According the the coast guard specs that someone here posted the link to, I came up with a max of 15 HP. The Gamefisher was actually thrown in with the boat. It wasn't running at first but after a little carb cleaning I got it running but not that good so far. Come payday I was planning on getting a new spark plug, lower end gear oil, grease gun, and new gas. But I still want the larger motor that I can also rely on. Thanks again for the input and advise, for sure. I'm all ears and eyes.

Y_J,

ImVho, the BEST of the BEST in 10-35 horse OB for a reasonable price are the GALE and the Sea King (the "twin" by Montgomery Ward) OBs of 1957-70, as they are CHEAPER than the Evinrude & Johnson "flagship engines" and mechanically the same.
(I saw a GREAT-running, NICE-looking, 1960 Gale Electric-start, long-foot, Model GG8823A, 15HP at a recent TX swap-meet for 175.oo with the gas tank & controls. - It finally sold for 125.oo about 2PM to a friend of mine for powering his "perch-jerking rig", a 1961, 16 foot, Lone Star Commander.)

Usually, in my experience, Gale & Sea King outboards sell for 1/2 to 2/3 of what a Johnson or Evinrude sells for, in the same physical condition.
(I've bought several Gale & Sea King OB in good shape for from 20-150.oo over the last 3 years, as lots of folks see them as "off brand" junk. =====> Most "antique OB collectors" are NOT interested in the "private-brand motors".)

Btw, IF you are interested in doing some "shade tree mechanic work" on these OMC OB motors, get a SELOC MARINE TUNE-UP & REPAIR MANUAL for 1956-70 EVINRUDE & JOHNSON OUTBOARDS # 1300. - Gale & Sea King OB are covered, too.
(The retail price for that book is 34.95 but I got mine, used off ebay.com, for 5.99+S&H.)

just my opinions, satx

Latest posts