20HP 1978 Mercury Model 200 Reverse Lock

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kier

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 20hp 1978 mercury. When I put the motor in forward gear the clamps dont release. The motor wont tilt unless I pull up on the clamps. Following the reverse link rod down I noticed the plastic reverse cam lock is shredded. I found a replacement on ebay. How hard is it to change this piece?

I have an 84 20hp mariner, dunno how much they changed since 78 - but there is a wire retainer at the top of the shift rod that should have a washer around the shift rod when the lower unit is changed. the previous owner lost this washer in the course of hardcore f'ing up the impeller replacement so I couldn't release the reverse lock with the shifter until I pulled the lower unit and replaced the washer.

Here is the part. It comes in today. All I can find online is they say to drop the lower unit and it should come right off.

Attachments

• $_3.JPG
    $_3.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,038
Attempt number 1. I tried to remove the clamp and swivel base. It was a failure. It looks like the shift rod goes through the swivel. The schematics do not show this. It now appears I have to remove the midsection from where motor sits.

Did you get it figured out? I have same issue with a 1976 model. Cam Reverse Lock stripped and I need to replace. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the entire shift rod and linkage.

Your instructions say to remove the lower unit - why are you messing around with the swivel bracket?

Latest posts