'75 Johnson 25HP Model 25E75B converted to electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2050z

Reaction score
I am on the final stages of getting my 1976 Mon Ark Jon boat complete and need some help.

1. How do I install a kill switch on this old motor? It has been converted to an electric key start. I will get pictures to show how this was done. It's pretty nice for this old motor. I did not do it, but previous owner did.

2. How do I remove the starter? I cannot see any screws or bolts holding it. I need to remove the carb to rebuilt it.

Thanks,

both are easy but to explain it would take a while and im tired.. but in the morning I will post some pics that will show you where to run the 2 wires on the kill switch and show you the starter bracket screws.... but for now you can remove the manual recoil (rope starter) off the top of the flywheel, look on top of the recoil and youll see the three bolts and that has to come off first because the bolt closest to the starter screws into the starter bracket so pop that off and if in the morning no ones helped ya out i'll post the pics and mark them so its self explanatory...

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400935047318.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400935075872.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400935100509.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400935119382.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400935138847.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400935158365.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1400935047318.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400935047318.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 572
  • uploadfromtaptalk1400935075872.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400935075872.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 572
  • uploadfromtaptalk1400935100509.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400935100509.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 572
  • uploadfromtaptalk1400935119382.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400935119382.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 572
  • uploadfromtaptalk1400935138847.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400935138847.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 572
  • uploadfromtaptalk1400935158365.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400935158365.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 572
kill switch.pngwhen I bought my Kill Switch, it came with instructions.
Basically, there are two wires that go to a magneto or power pack to break the
power load. Black with Yellow stripe to the black Ground comes to mind ......
Do you have the switch yet ?
It is not necessary to run two separate wires from the Kill Switch all the way back to the motor.
Just find out which ones are which on the ignition switch and connect them accordingly ........

I saw this diagram on the net https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

to remove the starter, the whole starter bracket must come off in one piece. very easy once you see
how it works.
then, the two nuts that hold the carb on are a bit more tedious. Helps if you have small fingers.
CAREFUL of the small nylon thingys that hold the operating linkages in place - they break easily.

There is nothing more grand
than to be just simply messing
around in an old boat. POGO - 1960

thanks. I have not purchased a kill switch yet because of the way this motor was converted.

I removed the nuts on the starter bracket but this starter will not budge.

Things to do first .....
#1) disconnect battery cables
#2) remove air box
#3) remove the solenoid and cables
#4) mark the magnetos - top/bottom (while you are tinkering around)

#5) take photos and notes of how to put it all back together !!!!

I have the same motor as yours .... I just looked and see only 3 visible bolts
that hold on the bracket assembly.
I do not have a pull start assembly attached, only the factory installed electric start.

I just went and removed the air box on my motor and yes, you do have to remove the starter to remove the carb.
I have had the starter off a few times as well and don't remember it holding on so tight.
after that last bolt, it just fell off.
If you have three bolts out, try rocking a screwdriver in it to see if it is stuck.
if that does not work, there is obviously one bolt somewhere that is holding it on.
so - look for a hidden bolt that might have been added by the previous owner.
I would look for a 1/4-20 bolt or screw head somewhere on the starter bracket.
It is heavy for its size, DON'T DROP IT.

Okay .... back up a bit .... I just carefully looked at your photos and your bracket is a bit different
than mine but the bolt pattern is the same ....
see attached photos of your motor and check the 3 bolts with the yellow circle.
this should be your solution.
Hope it works !!

Attachments

• starter.JPG
    starter.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 522
  • his starter.jpg
    his starter.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 521
  • his starter 2.jpg
    his starter 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 521
That was the trick. Starter off. Carb off. Huge thanks. Float looks fine and rest of the carb is nice and clean. I still replace the float just to be safe

Not sure why you pulled the carb off (you didn't mention anything about run issues that I saw), but I wouldn't go to that much trouble and not clean the jets and passageways in that carb while you have it off.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26928 project thread.

This motor has not been used in the two year plus years I have had it. Plus Wayne had not used the motor in maybe five years.
I pulled the carb to inspect and clean it. It's nice and clean now. Barryman's does the trick every time. I wanted to make sure this motor is solid before taking it out. The last thing I want to do is get to the boat ramp and cause a traffic jam if my motor fails or be on the water with my kids and it fail.

Solenoid, solenoid cover and impeller are getting replaced because they are bad.

Latest posts