Fuel problem? - Motor won't turn over, but did 2 months ago

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pletzy

Reaction score
Hey folks, I need to consult the motor gurus as I'm stumped!! I brought my 1991 Mercury 15hp 2 stroke out of storage (in my basement) to fire it up to get ready for fishing on tuesday. My motor ran like a champ a few months ago, but since being in storage for a couple of months, it will not turn over. I think I have it chalked up to a fuel issue, but can't determine the exact problem...
-Brand new fuel and oil are in the tank. The carb, float bowl and fuel filter have been completely drained of all old fuel.
-Carb has been pulled and cleaned and all the jets should be clear of any sediment.
-I checked the needle and seat to see if it sticks, but it doesn't seem to be. The float bowl is full of fuel everytime I have taken it apart.
-The choke works, I can hear it spitting fuel when the button is depressed.
-the spark plugs both have a great spark. I tried putting a bit of fuel in the chamber and nothing happens.
-The reeds were replaced a few months ago.
-Primer ball is hard and no leaks in the fuel lines.
-When the ripcord is pulled, nothing happens... it doesn't turn over or sputter.

Any ideas? I saw a dead spider sitting on the throttle... any possibilities there is a blockage somewhere? Help! I want to go fishing! Thanks in advance!!

Check stator leads under flywheel for corrosion.
Factory specs differ from aftermarket components.
These are around 1990 from someone else s factory specs they had.
B/W to ground 120-180 ohms.
B/Y to ground 3200-3800 ohms.
B/Y to B/W 3100- 3700 ohms.
I have polished laminated contacts and exciters on other type engines ignitions when dirty or corroded by using emery cloth and have had success, but never tried it on a marine application. Debris would need to be be a consideration, and future dependability if it did result in motor firing.
Ignition (switch box), compression ,air and fuel are first checks you have covered some of. If their good its worth looking at the stator.

https://www.outboardignition.com/page39.asp