Lower end install on an 1984 Evinrude 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I pulled the lower end to check the impeller. I'm attempting to re install it. Everything slides into place until the last 1/2 inch, then the lower end will not slide any further. I've rotated the flywheel and it still will not go any further. I think something's hitting, but I can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated. The engine is a 1984 25 Hp Evinrude short shaft electric start tiller. Thanks Todd

Off hand I'd say either the water tube or the shift shaft is not lining up correctly. One thing I've learned thru trial n error is that it really helps to have the motor vertical and slide the lower unit straight up into the housing.

I had a motor doing the same thing once. Turned out to be a slight burr on the spline of the drive shaft not letting it seat all the way. It was so small I could barely feel anything, but I used a file to lightly dress all the spline and it slid in perfectly.

Got it together. I did run a file around the top of the drive shaft. It did slide right in after that. I also had it verticle when I put it together. Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts