Evinrude outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylertamburo

Reaction score
So I bought a 1969 evinrude sportster 25hp a while back and when I went to test it I had all the symptoms of a spun prop. So what I did is went and bought a brand new prop off I boats. When I went to run it with the new prop it did the same thing! I've look all over the internet trying to figure out what my problem is and I can't figure out anything. What it's doing is when I give it the throttle all it does is rev super high but I'm not going anywhere. It will move at idle speed but that's is all and when I give it more throttle I slow down. The prop will move fine when it's out of water running on muffs. And when I put the motor in gear and turn the prop the motor turns over. Could anybody help me out here. It would be greatly appreciated

I know this is back a ways in troubleshooting but you don't have it tilted up too high right

Check shear pin on that year and model by replacing it. Cavitation plate is optimum an inch below lower transom too.

A customer brought me this same problem a couple of days ago. In his case it was a short-shaft motor on a long-shaft transom. Rule this out first.

I have one of those engines. I believe it packs more hp/lb than just about anything in it's size class...past, present, or future.

One thing to remember about this engine; the rpm range is a thousand rpms higher than the 18 hp. Rmember to prop it accordingly. It's identical to the 18 except for the carb, cylinder head, and pistons. If you find a Michigan Wheel brass prop in good shape and the right pitch, you'll have a real tiger. Idle it real low to shift this heavy a prop.

The best mine ever did was 34mph on a 10ft Sears rowboat with a beefed-up transom. It was equipped with a MWheel 2blade 12pitch brass prop.

The thing is I used to own this set up and then I sold it about 15 years ago and just now bought it back. When I originally used it it ran great but the guy I sold it to just had it sitting up for a good while. I do have the trim set to the highest level but would dropping it down to the lowest spot (which is only moving it down 6 inches) help that much?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353707#p353707 said:
Tylertamburo » Yesterday, 22:24[/url]"]The thing is I used to own this set up and then I sold it about 15 years ago and just now bought it back. When I originally used it it ran great but the guy I sold it to just had it sitting up for a good while. I do have the trim set to the highest level but would dropping it down to the lowest spot (which is only moving it down 6 inches) help that much?

Depending on the boat and how it is set up.........yes!

Try it. Let us know if you see improvement.

The trim setting is a big factor like prop selection. Set-up is everything.

Well guys I tried it and nothing changed. My friend says he thinks it's sliping out of gear but I held it in place and nothing changed...please help me guys

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354393#p354393 said:
Tylertamburo » 8 minutes ago[/url]"]Well guys I tried it and nothing changed. My friend says he thinks it's sliping out of gear but I held it in place and nothing changed...please help me guys
What pitch is the prop you are using? Is there too much weight up front or in the rear?

It's a 10 pitch I think...it's the same one that used to be on it when it ran....and I tried moving everything around and still nothing

I have the same motor. I'd take the lower unit apart and take a look, may be something obvious. They are super easy to take apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCkpGD4bgDI

By the way, when it was running well, would it plane out your 14 with 3 people?

Yea I'll probably end up going ahead a taking it apart and yes we could plane out with three and duck hunting gear

Latest posts