a little reassurance please!!! 20 hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200xc

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm looking for a little help on a motor for my 14 foot duro boat. I'm looking at the 20 hp. Suzuki EFI and I'm almost sold on it. But I'm skeptical to spend $2700 and it not be enough to push the boat loaded down. Does anyone have experience with this motor on a similar boat. And if so how does it push it, top speed, loaded down? And if any one has any bad experiences with this motor please let me know. The other option is a 25 2 stroke? Also, all the video I seem to find online all seem to be on zodiak type boats.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that size range is rated for 25hp, so a 20 would be fine on it. It's not going to be a speed demon, but should push you across the water with not problem.

It is rated for a 25 but I do know from previous experience that a 25 with one person can get a little squirrelly when running wide open. Not as concerned with top speed by myself but more towards with a loaded boat. If I could manage 23 or so with a decent load I would be happy

There is a lengthy post on here about the zuki 20. May want to read it before buying one. A 20hp pushes my 1448 sc, that is decked and has floors. I take you ride a KTM? I ride a 200 exc.

I do ride a ktm and used to have a exc. Good motorcycles! Back to topic. I've read that article and every other one. And just can't find what I'm looking for. You're 1448 is at flatbottom correct? Mines a vhull that weighs about 200 lbs. I would think your 1448 should be faster than mine and plane easier

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it comin if you have input. Like I said, I need reassurance

How heavy is the boat? I can't imagine much over 200.

Well my 12' boat is 345 or so from the factory. Just put a 30 on it and it does 32.1!!! A 25 would have done not much less. Your boat is 130 lbs lighter than mine. Going from a 20 to a 25 is quite a jump in weight. Price too.

Like I said a 20 will be just fine. The only reason I would say entertain the 25 is if you think you might get a bigger/heavier boat that you would transfer the 25 too. That was my case. I maxed out the hp to what the hull tag said in the event got a bigger boat one day.

20 should get that light v-hull right up on plane pretty good. I used to have a 15hp on my 14' Grumman which was a very light boat and it would fly. Borderline scary fast. 22mph with just myself and some minimal gear in the bow.

modified V. loaded with just me is prolly more like 800lbs. I have a tracker grizzly side console. according to what I have found it is 437lb. I weigh 180lb. 20 hp merc. 4stroke with tilt/trim 125, plus gear and cooler. you should be fine with a 20.

Thanks again guys! Ill feel better when I make the purchase. Should have it within the next couple weeks

Should have no problems with a new 20hp on a 14 footer. I've got a loaded down 16' v-hull with a early 90's 25hp and I can run 22 solo.

I think you'd have fun with it and it will get you up and going at a decent rate for sure

Depending on your load and hull condition I would expect speeds around 27ish. I have a 14 footer with a 25 horse and loaded down with tons of stuff it barely hits 23.