1976 Evinrude 20 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianMade-EH

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum . User Siguz post on my video on YouTube and said to come check this place out. I was just wondering if any one has any idea what could be wrong with my motor since I'm new to all the kind of stuff .here is my user name for Youtube GoingBrushless4X4. Be easier to just see my videos instead of typing . Thanks everyone

There is nothing wrong at all with the oil residue you are seeing.
After an extended period of idle the unburned fuel/oil will accumulate and run out various drain holes.
Typical for running on a hose or in a barrel.
As far as the sneezing goes. The best thing for you to do at this point is put the boat in the water so the engine will be at whatever static water level/back pressure.
Adjust your idle mixture (knob on the front of the carb) to an initial setting of 1 1/2 turns from a LIGHTLY closed position.
Start your engine and adjust in slow increments, allowing 15-30 seconds for the engine to stabilize at each new mixture by turning the mixture screw in or clockwise until the engine sneezes or spits lean then back out around 1/4 turn. This will be a pretty good base line setting for you. There should be a felt resistance to turning the mixture screw. If not then tighten the packing nut that surrounds the needle a little bit until some resistance is felt. Doesn't have to be a lot.
Looks like you have a pretty good running engine overall.

Thanks pappy for the reply and info I will try all this during the weekend . That's sludge comes out even after I took it out on the water . And it also stalls out " Boggs" when I have the motor full throttle . Ran good for a good half hour before it started stalling " bogging" out . So the sludge is normal ? Thanks again for all the info . And safe boating

If it is stalling or bogging when running hard then I would get an OEM carb kit (not aftermarket) and go through the carburetor.
You don't want to run a two stroke lean.
As far as the sludge goes...it takes a while for the engine to rid itself of it if you have idled the engine for a long time. Normal operation very little will appear.
It will appear for a couple of days though after running.

i have a 18hp evinrude same year and was having about the same problem as you. got the oem rebuild kit, very easy to do, took about 10 min after i got the carb off, cleaned it out real good, put it on, like pappy said set the mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out and then adjusted it and it runs like a top! starts first or second pull every time! hows your tiller handle? mine was sliping when i first got it, then i realized these models have an adjustment to move the gear shaft on the motor back out towards the tiller so the teeth meet again if they are a little too warn down! just figured i would let you know that! good luck!

Latest posts