35 hp mercury starter question need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalockwood

Reaction score
Hello ive got a 35hp mercury on a 1989 tracker pro 17 engine serial number is 0a966049. ive got a wiring problem coming off my throttle control box and what im considering doing is replacing my whole throttle control box with an updated unit, problem is the wiring harness for the engine runs directly under the starter on the engine and from what ive read the power head must be removed in order to take the starter out? just looking for some advice on this maybe someone knows how to get the wiring out without removing the starter or maybe if the starter does have to come out someone has a way to do it without taking the power head off. ive got some pictures ill post to aid in what im trying to inquire about. thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• mercury 3.jpg
    mercury 3.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 160
  • mercury 2.jpg
    mercury 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 160
Pics are too close up and show very little about how it's all put together, but I haven't seen one that required removing the powerhead just to change the starter. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I haven't run across one like that so far. This motor is a 86 model?

honestly im not sure if its an 86 all I know is that the boat is an 89 pro 17 and its a 35 hp mercury. I guess i should cross reference my serial number somehow and get an exact year. anyways i would be glad to take some more pics that aren't so close up if it may help give you an idea as to how its constructed. Im a lil new to boating and ive got a separate thread in the boat house category where ive been restoring this boat and ive had many questions that a few of you knowledgeable guys have been nice enough to help me out on. i guess what it boils down to is ive put a lot of work into getting this thing cleaned up and looking good again and id really like to have my gauges working in the console and im just not fully faithful in the wiring harness seeing as how the previous owner burned up the ground wire on the gauge harness (which runs into the throttle control box)

Latest posts