2000's Johnsons

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddywaders

Reaction score
My buddy is thinking of buying a 2003 Johnson 25 and was asking me if they were good motors but I recall hearing about problems with 2000s era motors.What were the "bad" years for these?Are the parts the same as 80's and 90's models.When did Bombardier take over?My friend complains its hard to stay on plane with 3 guys in a 14' Lund with his 25 yamaha(2-stroke).Would the Johnson make better power?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354395#p354395 said:
muddywaders » Yesterday, 14:49[/url]"]My buddy is thinking of buying a 2003 Johnson 25 and was asking me if they were good motors but I recall hearing about problems with 2000s era motors.What were the "bad" years for these?Are the parts the same as 80's and 90's models.When did Bombardier take over?My friend complains its hard to stay on plane with 3 guys in a 14' Lund with his 25 yamaha(2-stroke).Would the Johnson make better power?

the best years for the 40hp and under was from the late 50's early 60's till about 88-90, best small outboards ever built. they stopped making johnsons in 2007 I believe and im not sure when BRP took over...guessing around 07 though. as for more power than the yammy it would depend on motor condition, prop size, boat load etc...

That family of engines is/was a "tried and true" design. Very little change during the last several years of production.
Extremely good engines to get ahold of. With good oil and good maintenance and a common sense approach to operation it should last as long as you want it to.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354480#p354480 said:
Pappy » Yesterday, 08:48[/url]"]That family of engines is/was a "tried and true" design. Very little change during the last several years of production.
Extremely good engines to get ahold of. With good oil and good maintenance and a common sense approach to operation it should last as long as you want it to.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>