Check it - 1953 15012 Evinrude 15hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumDumGuy

Reaction score
Finally finished with my latest project.
It was definitely a lot of work, but worth it (to me at least).

IMG_20140606_00661.jpg
IMG_20140606_00656.jpg
IMG_20140606_00657.jpg

IMG_20140606_00660.jpg
IMG_20140606_00659.jpg

Yes, I know the '53 did not have a painted motor. I couldn't help myself.

Thanks for the compliments!

I took it out last night and got it all dialed-in. Seems to run very well (it should with everything that was replaced).

This model does not have a lower cowl pan. I was not prepared for the extra volume. No worries of sneaking up on anything. :LOL2:
Caught about 20 white bass to boot.

SumDumGuy,

Now you know why I like the 1957 and later OMC outboards. = QUIETER & just as tough/simple/easy to "tinker about" with.
(The 1959+ Gales are downright quiet, when the sound-insulation in the cowl is good.)

"Be right careful" with the PRE-1955 Johnnyrude OBs as the parts are often $$$$$$$$ and hard to find (in some cases).

yours, satx

I hear you about the later ones being quieter (maybe hear a little less now). It's not really too loud, but anyone around would probably think I was pushing a little boat with a 90hp. haha

I wanted a 15hp motor and when this one popped in the classifieds I had to have it. There was not even a consultation with the wife, it had to be mine. I didn't even know the year when I got it but I could tell it was old.

It was also unfortunately a typical vintage motor. Lots of stuff needed replaced (seal, ignition components, etc). Also, it had the typical house latex white paint job. I am not sure why this paint seems to be so popular for old outboards, but I would guess price.

Parts are not too bad for this one. They can be a challenge but I got most of the needed replacements from Dan Gano (https://www.ganotech.com/). Great guy, patient and has tons of vintage OMC stuff at less than original prices. Also, if he doesn't have what is needed he will find it.

But, now I haz a sad; the project is complete. Time to find a "new" one.

SumDumGuy,

I have a suggestion for you. =====> Get yourself a 1953 wooden/tin/glass boat, restore it, power it with your restored Evinrude & JOIN US for the April 2016 ROY ROGERS/MAC McDERBY 60th Anniversary Run from Denison, TX to New Orleans, LA. = The Run will be "a HOOT".
(We already have 8 boats/teams for the Run to NOLA.)

I will be running a molded mahogany plywood 1958 HOLMES GULF FISHERMAN 18, powered with a pair of 1958 Johnson RDS-20 "long-foot" outboards on the trip.

yours, satx

Latest posts