Honda Outboard Issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Dawg

Reaction score
Just bought a nice Lowes side console with a 30 HP Honda electric start engine. Motor is supposed to be 10 years old. Starts fine, runs low speed very smooth. Problem is, when at 2/3 to full throttle, engine bogs down. Past owner ran treated fuel all the time. I run high test, non ethynol fuel. Fuel change hasn't affected the bogging issue yet. Don't know if it will. Any suggestions from you Honda guys?

Thanking you in advance for the input!

Dawg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360465#p360465 said:
Blue Dawg » 22 Jul 2014, 07:38[/url]"]BTT
Cleaning the carb did not fix it?

I'm having the same problem with my 20 hp Honda. Motor runs perfectly but seems bogs under heavy throttle and I don't gain any speed. I have been trying a bunch of different things. I tried playing with the trim and motor height. My thinking now is that I have to much stern weight and the stern sinks under heavy throttle causing the motor to bog. I just put a hydrofoil on and I'm trying to move some weight around (moving TM from stern to bow) and hope to test it out later this week.

I thought I would give an update. I installed an SE 200 Hydrofoil and moved my trolling motor from the stern to the bow, no other changes. I went from struggling to hit 10 mph and not being able to plane to being able to cruise at 19-20 mph with a top speed of 21.

Thanks Goat. I have a foil on this engine. Carbs are clean as a whistle. Still bogging. I've moved items to the front etc. No luck. Scratching my dang head. About ready to throw the dang motor in the trash and repower but that would not set well with the minister of finance. LOL

Any other suggestions?

Dawg

I know it was mentioned that the carbs are clean, but I've run into occasions where they were squeaky clean to the naked eye, but some of the internal passages were not. Ultrasonic cleaning usually takes care of that. Occasionally it won't and in that case, sometimes drilling the brass plugs out of the main body and manually cleaning the passages will work (assuming one has a source for replacement plugs). It's easier; and if you pay a shop to do it, cheaper, to just replace the carburetors.

Also over propped situations can cause the similar bog issue, especially with a 4 stroke engine which is more sensitive to propping.

check your fuel line, if old, and even it is EPA/ethanol compliant, the inside liner can still separate from the hose and can cause fuel flow issues. Check the bulb as well.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365127#p365127 said:
TNtroller » Yesterday, 20:12[/url]"]check your fuel line, if old, and even it is EPA/ethanol compliant, the inside liner can still separate from the hose and can cause fuel flow issues. Check the bulb as well.

This is the cause of alot of headaches. A bud of mine asked me to look at his 25 Rude as it was bogging down. It would try to get on plane then fall off. Checked out carb,looked good. Found his fuel line to be in sorry shape, stiff , brittle and connectors to tank and engine seemed to be drawing in air and line was de-lamenting on the inside. New fuel line, bulb and hard wired it to tank to eliminate a connector.
Runs like a champ now.

Latest posts