Best way to replace parts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
Last week I posted a question about a spinning throttle grip on my 1984 25HP Johnson. Well, I opened everything up and it turns out the outer half of the steering handle is broken. There is a circle the gear shaft passes through on this part, and this circle has broken off giving the gear shaft more wiggle room which is causing problems.

Anyway, I have two questions...

First of all, what websites do you guys use when buying parts for your outboards?

Secondly, is there any way to tell if a part will work despite it not being the right part number? For example, the part I need is 0322932 but this part is very hard to find. Is there a way to know if another similar part would work just as well?

Thanks in advance.

marineengine.com has exploded parts diagrams and will get you parts fast even if they show out of stock. If a part has been discontinued or revised it will tell you. Im not sure I totally understand the part your refering to as it sounds like yoir saying the twist throttle on the tiller arm is spinning to far but then u say it goes through the crankshaft of the engine?

The part is NLA/obsolete.

You may try a few outboard scrap yards. Google "outboard scrap yard" or "outboard junk yard" and start emailing.

I usually just hit up google with the part number, but as you have undoubtedly found the results of the query are not many and the price is rather high.

Anyway, I have two questions...

First of all, what websites do you guys use when buying parts for your outboards?

Secondly, is there any way to tell if a part will work despite it not being the right part number? For example, the part I need is 0322932 but this part is very hard to find. Is there a way to know if another similar part would work just as well?

Thanks in advance.

If you have a good Marine dealer in the area, go to them. They can look up the part on the factory website. If the part is out of production they can do a search to see if any other dealers have it in inventory and get it for you.

First of all, when I said "crank shaft" I actually meant "gear shaft." Sorry. Anyway...

I've put everything back together and it seems to work alright with the damage, so to get you guys a picture I would need to go out to the garage and take everything apart again. I'd also need to clean off all the grease because you wouldn't be able to see anything if I didn't.

I think it would be better to show you a picture of the part as it is supposed to be. Below you will see the outer half of the steering handle. Near the left end you'll see a circular opening through which the gear shaft passes. This circle is what has broken and I have indicated with two yellow lines the piece that has broken off. Between the two yellow lines is the segment of this circle that has broken off. It's about 120 degrees of the full circle that is now missing. This allows the gear shaft to move and when this happens the teeth don't grip as well and operating the throttle with the handle grip becomes very frustrating. I've also attached a schematic of the the entire mechanism for reference; we're looking at part #17.

I removed the broken pieces of metal that were just sort of stuck in the grease, put everything back together and tightened all the screws. It seems like the teeth on the gear shaft are gripping just fine despite the damage. However, that's what I thought yesterday and when I went fishing this morning I was hardly able to turn the throttle at all. It was after I went fishing today that I discovered the broken piece.

I hope this helps you understand my problem. Do you guys still want a picture of the actual damage? I could probably get you one tomorrow. I'll be messing around with the boat a little in the morning.

Also, thanks for the suggestions so far. You guys are great.

Attachments

• schematic.png
    schematic.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 365
  • steeringhandle.jpg
    steeringhandle.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 365
I would check with the salvage yards. I'm sure they would have that part...

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/449716-salvage-yards-by-wilde1?t=438822

Latest posts