1985 evinrude 25hp electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnknemeyer

Reaction score
So I picked up a 1985 evinrude 25hp electric start today for 350.00. The guy said it ran but might need carb work. I just need to know where to start and what to look for. I plan on trying to run the engine toomarow after this storm blows through. Once again any help will be great.

I checked the compression that's all good, it has spark on both spark plugs cranks over electric start works but its not firing. Any suggestions on where to start with the carb? 110 psi on top and 114 psi on bottom for compression check.

I would say get your hands on a service manual. It would have instructions on how to clean out the carb. If there was gas left in it the last time it ran, the are probably deposits that blocking all the little passages that fuel flows through.

You may also need a rebuild kit if too much stuff is gummed up, and also to replace any dried out rubber parts.

I've done a couple of these on lawn mowers and ice drills, but I don't know if the one(s) on outboards are more complex. On the ones I did, the toughest part was to adjust the idle and mixture settings.

Look at the top of this forum, there may be links to the appropriate service manuals.

good luck!

Are the plugs wet after you attempt to start? If they are you may not have a fuel delivery issue.

Does the fuel hose bulb get firm after you pump the carb bowl full (is there fuel in the carb)?

If the carb has fuel then perhaps it is in need of cleaning. Spray a small amount of mix down the carb throat, attempt to start and see if it will pop. If it does then simply rebuild the carb. Fairly cheap and it is easy.

I got the engine to start today with some carb cleaner. I let it run for about 10 minutes, from how how it was acting it needs a good clening and the carb rebuilt. It does not want to start without the carb cleaner so I'm going to take the carb out clean and rebuild it and see if that helps out. The gears do work and its pumping water out so that makes me feel better about buying it. Anyone know the fuel mixture ratio for this engine?

The fuel mix is 50:1.

It would be better to use the mix as a starting fluid, too. People freak when they hear starting fluid/carb cleaner/anything without oil is used to prime a 2 stroke.

Latest posts