What's killing my motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKFF

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/oSZ4yOquK0c.

1975 Evinrude 40, starts & runs, but when I slow it down, something clunks every couple seconds at irregular intervals, kills the engine, sometimes the first clunk, sometimes it keeps running through a few clunks. Almost seems like the starter dog is catching the flywheel - is that possible?

You could pull of the recoil starter and rope start it. While its off inspect it to see if the springs holding the dogs are ok.

If its not the starter then you might take a look at the prop key & housing. It might hookup in one direction, but slip and "clunk" in the other.

I appreciate the suggestions. The prop was off when I took the video, I never put it in gear, so not sure if it could be a prop issue. What's the chances it's just an issue of idling too low? I adjusted a screw that keeps the tiller from turning too far in the 'slow' direction, and as long as I don't go below a certain speed, it seems to stay running just fine. I suppose I'd need a tach to tell exactly - how tough is it to rig a tach to tell what rpms it's running?

Could be but it doesn't sound like it. Thought it was a lean pop but it seems like it shuts down too fast

Latest posts