73 evinrude 9.5 wont starr

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodknee1231

Reaction score
I recently bought a 73 evinrude 9.5 sportwin sat for a yr in soneones garage but i been pulling and pulling and it wont even sputter. Pulled thw flywheel and checked the points nohing out of the norm thw carp is getting fuel and i replaced the plugs they seem to get spark but they are super wet and covered in fuel. Seems like a spark issue to me i went and ordered points and condensers, my question is am i missing something or headed in the right direction, and why doesnt this thing even sputter when u pulll it ?

Wish I could help you. The guys on here helped me get mine running great and I wish I could pay it forward. All I can say is hang in there these are great little motors and well worth the fix. Good Luck, Coach

If you think that fuel is making it to the cylinders and you have spark. Pick up an adjustable spark tester and verify that you have good enough spark.

My last ignition experience showed I had enough spark to shock myself, but it was not enough to get the cylinder to fire (turned out to be a bad set of points).

Have you dressed and reset the points?

I sanded them down and kinda eyeballed then but i went ahead and ordered new ones and i just found out the fuel is a yr old would it not run on old fuel like that at all ? Im gonna replace points condensers and mix new fuel and see what it does

It should run with old fuel. Perhaps not optimally, but it will run.
I'm running last years fuel in my motor now (seafoam treated).

What are the points set at?

I know are supposed to be at .020 or whatever but i dont have a feeler gauge i will gap them correctly when i get the new ones i guess my question is that is there a way that these wont work at all ? They look close But i cant even get the thing to bark

Ok well i gapped the points that are currently on it and have a crisp blue spark on top cylinder spark plug and nothing on the bottom plug is this still a point issue ? Also it barked a few times but thats it still no start.

sounds like it could be something besides the points. if you want to continue to troubleshoot try swapping the coils and condensers between the cylinders. if the problem moves then you have narrowed down the culprit. if it doesn't move you have still eliminated some potential problems.

\

Ok help !!!!!! I changed the points and condensers have a bright whitish spark on both cylinders still cant get it to even sputter 5 pulls and the plugs are soaked so i know im getting fuel im pretty much stumped any help would be awesome

Is it by chance flooding?

How much of a gap can the spark jump?

What kind of compression numbers do you have?

You seem to have everything required for the motor to run (if the compression is good).

Ok after pulling a bunch it came to life !!!!! Runs great till it starves itself out of fuel, after it dies i can squeeze the bulb and fill the bowl back up probably a bad pump, since pumps are hard to find and expensive i was looking into running a 9.9 hp pump itll fit i believe

Cool you got it to fire.
You could verify the pump being faulty by pulling the output of the pump and turning the motor. Fuel should come out if the pump is functional.

I agree marine engine fuel pumps are expensive. I like to use 10-15 dollar lawn mower pumps. They work without issue and are substantially cheaper.

Here's one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-P...S_Outdoor_Power_Equipment&hash=item27e162ecdf

Here's one in a 10hp...
IMG_20130710_01156.jpg

Here's one in a 25hp...
fuel_pump.jpg

I was thinking of a square one still they seem semi universal, i will make sure thats the issue, what else could it be ? The bulb and hose look new

Have you tried a shot of Carb Cleaner as Starting fluid.
I do that.
It satisfies the Ignition, timing and Compression all at once. If it fires off with Carb Cleaner, that engine will run. =P~
Then you can start checking out the fuel system.

I pulled the output hose off the pump while ita running and not a drop of fuel comes out so its my pump

Latest posts