1983 Johnson 15 hp motor, new boat, help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcalla

Reaction score
This is going to be a long post, just a warning. I appreciate all your input. I will summarize the post first, hoping to get some feedback. Details will follow, if you want to read that far.

Summary:

1. Will my 1983, 15hp Johnson (J15RTA) plane out a 1970's Smoker Craft Sport Angler 166F? I know the only way to know for sure is to try it, but that is why I'm posting.
2. Is it worth throwing money at the motor (details to follow) to find out?
3. Should I sell/trade the Johnson for a bigger motor without repair?
4. Should I repair it, test it, then trade/sell if I need a bigger motor?

Details:

I acquired a 1648 flat-bottom jon last summer with the intention of a complete rebuild, essentially making it a shallow water skiff that I could take out to my local rivers, get skinny, catch some fish, have a great time (that's what we're all here for, right?). I fished it in Michigan with a rented 1979 15hp Johnson and it pushed me pretty well (getting ~19 mph). I figured that would be the best motor for my intended purpose of the boat (power vs. weight). I ended up finding the 1983 Johnson on CL, traded one of the trolling motors I acquired in the initial purchase for it, and I was happy.

Then winter hit, and I was able to pick up some wading gear on clearance, which made me re-evaluate my plans for the boat. I realized that the flat-bottom wasn't the best choice for me, since I prefer to wade the river (it gets real shallow, essentially making a boat pointless), I have a young son that I want to take fishing in a couple years (safety reasons, shallow boat, etc.), and the ride was real rough in the lake. I figured I would put up an ad on CL to see if I could trade it off for a v/semi-v/mod-v before I started the mods this spring. I ended up trading it for the a-fore-mentioned Smoker Craft, straight-up.

Last winter, I spent some time going through the motor, getting it to run smooth, etc. I got it to run, idle nicely, but I could not get it to go into reverse. I just figured I needed to adjust the linkage, so I put it aside for a later date. It sat on the stand until this week, when I made the trade for the new boat. After messing with the boat for a couple evenings, I figured it was time to address the reverse issue. I found the problem. It is the bearing housing, which is the last part of the lower unit before the prop. It is broken, and needs replaced. I don't know if the PO knew it or not, but that's not the point. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

I took a rubber mallet and put it back in place, and the reverse seemed to be good to go.

So, I guess I'm asking is it worth the $90+ repair to fix the outboard (don't know if it will plane out the new boat), or should I cut my losses and trade the motor as-is for something bigger? Is the repair something I can do, or should I pay a professional to do the job (this is my first outboard, but I can turn a wrench, so to speak)?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I have decided to do the repair myself. I plan on ordering all the parts within the next day or so. Is there a better place than boats.net? I figure I will be getting the new bearing housing, O-ring, seals, etc. I actually already tore it down, and inspected (briefly) the internals, and they all look good (so far). I accomplished this without dropping the lower unit. Would it be a good idea to drop the lower unit to inspect the motor further (upper seals), or just put it back together with the new parts? I figure it would be better to drop it, but I don't really have a ton of time before my trip.

The motor was running fine in the tank, pumping water, etc., it would just not engage reverse, then I found the problem.

I think a 15hp johnson is worth fixing, you said $90, well worth it. Will it plane the boat, might plane a lightweight 16 footer but I doubt it would plane a heavy one (mine is 560 lbs empty /dry) plus 75 " wide and lots of gear in it.
Tim

I ordered the new parts, along with some other stuff I needed for the motor. It was $130 and should be here tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get it all buttoned up and on the lake for a shake down trip before my vacation.