need help please with 25 johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwgod

Reaction score
I just bought my first tin this wek will have pics soon as it will be a project.
but i am not to good with motors. so here is the deal
the motor will start and idel fin but when i ttrry to give it gas it dies so i put a piece of cardboard over the carb and left about a 1/2 inch of hole uncovered on it runs great any ideals on how to fix this

thanks in advance

Carb probably needs cleaned and rebuilt. Jets are probably plugged and running the motor lean. The cardboard is basically choking off the air to the point that it runs on the little fuel getting to the motor.

so i should try to rebuild the crab do you know how i can order a rebuild kit
or should i have it done by a pro i do alot of work on cars but this is my first time with a outboard

Get the factory manual. Follow it for your first carb service. Do the linkage synchronization exactly as it instructs. Set timing carefully.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355893#p355893 said:
nwgod » June 15th, 2014, 7:59 pm[/url]"]I just bought my first tin this wek will have pics soon as it will be a project.
but i am not to good with motors. so here is the deal
the motor will start and idel fin but when i ttrry to give it gas it dies so i put a piece of cardboard over the carb and left about a 1/2 inch of hole uncovered on it runs great any ideals on how to fix this

thanks in advance

Whats the year or model number?

Its always a good idea to replace the fuel lines when rebuilding too (with quality USCG hose) so it doesn't keep getting clogged. If gas has sat in the tank probably a good idea to clean the tank too.

jasper not sure of the year model but will try to find the number
I know it the electric start tracker edition it has the steering wheel and controls not a tiller handle