25hp 2stroke yamaha impeller change help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I just picked up a nearly new/flawless 2006 25hp 2stroke yamaha with less then 10hrs that was only used in freshwater,not one drop of corrosion.I couldn't help myself,it was a steal and i couldn't resist.It has had very little use but it is still 8yrs old and i don't know when the impeller was last changed so i figure it is a good idea to do it.I watched a video on youtube and it seems very easy,the only question i have is when i do the shift linkage it seems like you can't really mess it up if i'm correct,that's why i need some input,it just seems like you just tighten the little nut all the way down on the shift linkage shaft then connect the shaft together with the upper nut,then once the upper nut can't go anymore down and it's tight u just take the bottom nut and go back towards the upper nut till it's tight,then hold the upper nut in place and snug the bottom nut to it and done,is this correct?I'm sure someone here has done it before so this is the right place to ask.

Thanks for any help.

That linkage has to be the worst setup ever on a shifter. It works....but it's a pain to deal with if you haven't done a few hundred of them in the past.

To remove, make sure it's in reverse, loosen the jam nut. Screw the long connecting nut UPWARDS (toward the top of the motor) a little at a time until when you shift into forward gear, it disconnects. Dont go any further than you have to.

Then when reassembling, make sure the foot is in reverse, put the shifter into reverse and just screw the connector down. If everything goes right, you will then just tighten the jam nut and you're done.

That's where it gets interesting if it doesn't go right. And about 50% of the time it doesn't.

To adjust it, you have to do it all over again until it IS right. The bottom rod and the top rod are both right hand thread so it's not a turnbuckle that adjusts the length. To adjust the length, you have to totally separate the two, then move the connecting nut one way or the other, then try again. It can make you want to invent new words.......trust me.

normally if you do it like I mentioned, separate it JUST enough to get it separated and no further, it's usually perfect first shot. Some of them had the tilt lock link below the jam nut-which I absolutely hate-but they're no different other than it won't stay in reverse unless you manually HOLD the tilt lock with the other hand (or have a helper do it) while screwing with the long nut. I hate those ones! Friend of mine had an 08 like that and he brings it over once every 2 years for me to replace the impeller. He can do it but he gets frustrated easily....

Latest posts