Typical Motor Temperature??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srr5008

Reaction score
I have a 98 Evinrude 50hp 2-stroke, that is new to me. I got it up and running tonight after finalizing the swap to my boat. I noticed after running it for 4-5 minutes (hooked up the garden hose with muffs) that the engine block was hot to touch. Not scalding hot, but definitely more than "warm." I don't have much experience with boat motors, but I do have a pretty heavy background with car motors. I would expect the block to heat up, especially since it's a small motor, but I wasn't expecting it to heat up that fast. Does it sound like I have anything to worry about, or is that pretty typical.

For what it is worth, my alarm horn isn't working and I have a new system check gauge in the mail. So i currently don't have any audible or visible alarms (one of them was for overheating).

My 1988 has a 145 deg thermostat in it, yours may be the same, I do not know. In any case, judge the temp of your heads accordingly.
Tim

I have a temp gauge on my 25 Evinrude and it ran about 155 degrees when I was on a lake with a 10 mph limit. I was running at 2500 to 2800 rpm. When I can plane out and run high rpm, it cools down to about 145 degrees. The motor has a 143 degree thermostat. I asked the same question you did and I was told that it sounded normal. My gauge measures cylinder head surface temp, not water temp. I'm sure there is some variation between the two. I have a new head gasket, thermostat, and water pump. It isn't overheating, so I guess it's fine. I don't know what else can be checked to fix an overheating problem. I can touch the motor for a few seconds before I have to pull my hand away. I would recommend installing gauges if you have console mounted steering. You can see changes in a gauge before a warning light or buzzer would go off.

Thank you for all the advice. My plan is to install a temp gauge in the future, and the systems check gauge that I will be installing today will at least give me a visual warning to overheating. I just wanted to get opinions on whether or not I had a problem that I should attempt to fix before trailering it to Canada. I’ve also talked to other sources (friends, Evinrude dealer) and they didn’t think I had an issue.

It doesn't sound like you have a problem, especially since you may not be getting full cooling off the muffs. But I absolutely would put in in the water for a real-life run before you take it very far. What a shame to go that distance only to realize it was a problem and spoil the trip.

Actually, almost all carbureted Johnson/Evinrude thermostats are set to open around the 130-135F range. Should they fail they are also designed to fail in the open position!
You engine should idle around that range. Temps are taken at the top of the cylinder head. This may be why we are seeing different temps being reported.
The engine by-passes the thermostat altogether when rpms are increased. Water pressure supplied by the pump is increased and it blows open a large pressure relief valve built into the system. Once this opens (usually while you are planing off) the engine should cool down to around 100f or so depending on your water temp in your area.