Evinrude Tiller to Remote controls and Steering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlmallory

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Evinrude 40 HP Model Number e40rlco. I am looking at converting it from the tiller to remote controls and steering. How easy or how hard is this to complete and what do I need exactly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking at putting a power trim and tilt on the motor. Any suggestions on where to get parts from?

Used would be the only viable way of doing it (cost prohibitive) and I think it would be quite involved. I have remote control on my 88 johnson 48 spl and would actually like to have tiller steering but as I said quite involved and I do not want to tackle it.
Tim

It's not that difficult if you are adept at fabricating custom brackets. I took the complete steering system off a donor hull and incorporated it on my 15hp Nissan. The tiller is still functional and nothing was defaced on the motor.

Attachments

• conversion.jpg
    conversion.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 657
  • conversion1.jpg
    conversion1.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 657
  • conversion2.jpg
    conversion2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 657
marineengines.com look up your model number in the parts section and there is an area for accessories and the brackets etc... you need will be in there if they are still available wich I think they should be